Large Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinNRVA

Reaction score
We currently brew in 10gal all grain batches using a keggle. Our problem is fermentation space. We have been using 2 buckets for primary. We have a fermentation refrigerator that we use for temperature control. Ideally we would like to be able to store 20gal in said frig. If anyone has come across a vessel for fermenting 10gal batches let me know.

Use Sanke kegs! 15 gal of fermenting space (if you use a blow off). I can't say enough good things about them. The only bad thing of course is that they are extremely heavy when full but you would have that problem with any large fermenter.

60 litre blue HDPE barrels are very cheap. I've had mine a couple of years. The handles are starting to rip off on one of them from moving it around with liquid in so I use it for storing grain. I'm switching to Sanke's now.

Any large stainless stock pot would make a great open fermenter. I use a 36 quart for my 5 gallon all-grain batches and have never "krausened" over the lip.... so I'd think a 80 quart would easily do 10 gallons.

Remember that you don't need heavy-duty for this task since you're not worried about scorching your wort with a thin-walled kettle... so any large, cheap vessel will do.

So a Sanke would be great as well, but it's much heavier and you'll have to cut the lid off and then borrow a lid from something else anyway.

Any large stainless stock pot would make a great open fermenter. I use a 36 quart for my 5 gallon all-grain batches and have never "krausened" over the lip.... so I'd think a 80 quart would easily do 10 gallons.

Remember that you don't need heavy-duty for this task since you're not worried about scorching your wort with a thin-walled kettle... so any large, cheap vessel will do.

So a Sanke would be great as well, but it's much heavier and you'll have to cut the lid off and then borrow a lid from something else anyway.

Actually all you have to do is take the spear out. A #10 drilled stopper fits perfectly. I just treat them like giant carboys......

I've used demi johns which are often used for wine. They're larger than 10 gallons. However, going to sanke kegs is a great option.

demi johns would be a good option if you can find them reasonably enough. They're short & squatish and approximately 15gal which would leave enough head space to primary ferment 10-11g batches no problem.

Of course if you want to go full bling, conical fermenters are another option with many vendors offering different sizes that will fit in a stand up fridge/freezer.

I used to have a 54 litre Italian carboy. It was one of a pair, a friend bought the other one. Within days we had both broken them. I was lucky that mine broke while I was washing it out. His flooded sticky beer all over his workshop. :(

I am also looking for an inexpensive fermenting option for 10 gallon batches. I will still use my 6.5 gallon buckets for 5 gallon batches but I constantly keep the session beers on tap and I make them in the 10 gallon batches.

Back