Whole Saaz and Styrian Goldings with honey blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I'm going to try a Honey blonde soon and I have some left over hops - about 1.5oz of whole Saaz and about .75 oz of Styrian Goldings pellets. This is my first honey blonde and my first use of honey.

I'd like to use the leftover hops but I'm not sure they go with this kind of brew.

Any recipe suggestions for an all grain honey blond would be appreciated. I stll have not decided if this will be a wheat beer or not. I am inclined to do something like 9 pounds of 2 row and a half pound each of crystal 10L and honey malt.

Any suggestions on yeast would be appreciated as well.

I had a honey blond at a local place that I think was made by Firestone and it was great - you could really taste the honey and it was not too bitter - I'm thinking of keeping the IBUs in the 15 - 20 range.

I think either of those hops would be fine, just bitter @60 and leave out later additions to let the honey shine through. Sounds like a good general recipe idea.

A few words on honey, the less heat it is exposed to the better. I like adding it to the primary after the bulk of fermentation is complete. If you can get high quality, unpasteurized, local honey that is the way to go. I really like orange blossom, but any fruit blossom would be a good choice for a beer like this.

Good luck.

OK - I think I got it somewhat finalized:

8 lbs 2 row
1 lb Honey malt

.75 oz saaz whole leaf @ 60 min
.75 oz Styrian goldings pellet @ 60 min

White labe east coast ale wlp008

1 pound of local unpasturized honey after fermentation has substantially stopped (around 3 - 5 days)

Beer calculus put this at:

OG 1.054
FG 1.013
IBU 18.6

My question is - is this enough honey for a 5 gallon batch?

I did 1.5 lbs in 5 gallons and it had a subtle floral/waxy aroma and flavor, so it depends how much character you want.

Latest posts

Back