Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to historical perspectives by CAMRA,ale is fermented for some 4 days & put in a cask. It didn't have hops or gruit in it originally. If it had hops in it,it was concidered beer.

Not so much funny as bloody frustrating.

I was in a pub the other night which had a Uk brewed Stone Double IPA (they've done a collaborative brew with one of the UK breweries to offer a few of their recipes on cask over here).

I asked for a pint and the bar manager said "sorry it's 8.5% legally I can only sell you a half"

Behind him was a large poster promoting a deal on pitchers of cocktails stating 2 for £12 and double up on the shots for an extra £2 per pitcher, on a board on the bar was a buy it by the bottle deal on wine.

And my mate had just ordered a pint of 8.3% scrumpy cider without a problem.....

so, I asked for a 750 ml bottle (so just under a pint and a half here) of 13% merlot and one glass. This wasn't a problem other than the fact that I was much less stable on my legs when walking back to the bar to get that DIPA 1/2 later in the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

There's a British pub near my fiancee's place we frequent (a LOT). They have a few DIPA's on tap or cask, and they will only give me about 10 oz in a pint glass. Once I asked about it and they gave a similar answer of "oh, it's above XX%, so I can't serve you a full pint."
Such bull**** since the same night my buddy was drinking vodka-red bull by the pint.

He was 100% wrong. The 6 oz DOES make a NOTICEABLE difference as proven by the very pictures posted in an effort to support the smart ass statement the guy made.

Noticeable? Sure.

Significant? Not so much!

On the other hand... In such a retail situation... the customer should be right!

RDWHAHB

Noticeable? Sure.

Significant? Not so much!

On the other hand... In such a retail situation... the customer should be right!

RDWHAHB

I'm not sure the word "clone" is being translated properly here on the Internet.

When you're trying to replicate something, getting all parameters as close as humanly possible is important. Altering a step in the process that causes a noticeable difference becomes significant, as you then have fallen well short of your target.

I'm not sure the word "clone" is being translated properly here on the Internet.

When you're trying to replicate something, getting all parameters as close as humanly possible is important. Altering a step in the process that causes a noticeable difference becomes significant, as you then have fallen well short of your target.

Bickering like this belongs in a different thread.

Poured a bottle of 80 schilling ale and said to my wife "Nice light tan head." She replied "Better than a blackhead." Barf.

Went to BJs and the bud light drinker in the group tried all the beers I got and had the same opinion, "nice nose, but I wouldn't drink that"

I have a friend who thinks that all dark beers are Stouts
he will hand you a Boston Lager and tell you he had bought a 6 pack of stout
I do not complain, I just enjoy the beer
oh
he swears the difference between an Ale and a Lager is that a Ale is brewed in Great Britain and Lagers are brewed everywhere else.
because, get this, England has no mountains to lager the beer in like Germany and the United states do.
Oh well

I have a friend who thinks that all dark beers are Stouts
he will hand you a Boston Lager and tell you he had bought a 6 pack of stout
I do not complain, I just enjoy the beer
oh
he swears the difference between an Ale and a Lager is that a Ale is brewed in Great Britain and Lagers are brewed everywhere else.
because, get this, England has no mountains to lager the beer in like Germany and the United states do.
Oh well

Haha I think I need to meet this guy!

BJ's actually has a pretty good bottle selection of Belgians, and a decent guest tap list. It's just their house beers are really sub-par

Not so much funny as bloody frustrating.

I was in a pub the other night which had a Uk brewed Stone Double IPA (they've done a collaborative brew with one of the UK breweries to offer a few of their recipes on cask over here).

I asked for a pint and the bar manager said "sorry it's 8.5% legally I can only sell you a half"

Behind him was a large poster promoting a deal on pitchers of cocktails stating 2 for £12 and double up on the shots for an extra £2 per pitcher, on a board on the bar was a buy it by the bottle deal on wine.

And my mate had just ordered a pint of 8.3% scrumpy cider without a problem.....

so, I asked for a 750 ml bottle (so just under a pint and a half here) of 13% merlot and one glass. This wasn't a problem other than the fact that I was much less stable on my legs when walking back to the bar to get that DIPA 1/2 later in the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Where are you in the uk?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Home Brew mobile app

At a local brewery/restaurant today and overheard a couple guys talking. One said to the other " Didn't know if you knew but Budweiser is actually a wheat beer." Well I learned something today!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

At a local brewery/restaurant today and overheard a couple guys talking. One said to the other " Didn't know if you knew but Budweiser is actually a wheat beer." Well I learned something today!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Isn't barley a cousin of wheat? Then it's about a 20% cousin of wheat beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back