Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just reminded me. My folks once gave me a package of doggie breath strips. Like those ones for people where you put them on your tongue and they dissolve. I thought it was absurd but the pups loved them. Pretty funny.

I got these large dog teeth/breath chew treats that were supposed to help gums, teeth and whatnot but there is no way the two bites it takes Harper to destroy one of those it is doing any good, lol.

My dog knows how to win. I was just outside watering where I'd put down some grass seed and he walked over, so of course I sprayed him in the face with the hose. He responded by casually walking up to me and drying his face on my crotch. Well played, KB... well played.

My vet said I could use the dremmel tool on low to do my puppies nail's. It works well and it's easer to avoid hitting the quick. I give her treats as I do each paw.

My vet said I could use the dremmel tool on low to do my puppies nail's. It works well and it's easer to avoid hitting the quick. I give her treats as I do each paw.

I use a dremel for mine, though I have an attachment I got for it that makes it easier. It's adjustable so you don't go to far down the nail, plus it catches the dust.

edit: by mine... I mean my dog's nails. Not literally mine.

Though I've thought about it. :D

My dog knows how to win. I was just outside watering where I'd put down some grass seed and he walked over, so of course I sprayed him in the face with the hose. He responded by casually walking up to me and drying his face on my crotch. Well played, KB... well played.
One thing Harper figured out early on is this passive/aggressive attention getter. If I ignore him, usually while I am working at my desk, he will do the chin in lap with puppy-dog eyes thing. If that doesn't work he will go get a nice long drink then come back and do it again... he is part Sharpei, he has jowls, big hanging jowls, yeah I end up with about a cup of water in my lap. He knows the attention might not always be good but he will get my attention with that trick.

Oh and Dremel... brilliant. I need to try that some time. I usually just use the clippers but they come out so rough when I do. Dremel might be better if he can stand it.

KB still turns into a little baby when I use the dremel on his nails, but it's better than the clippers. With the clippers, he would freak out each time I clipped a nail and I'd have to work to get his foot back and still enough to do the next one. I was fighting for each nail. With the dremel I still have to work to get his paws and get them still, but usually once I start I can do a whole paw at a time.

Make sure you don't over do it with the dremel. They recommend to use short strokes and take off small bits at a time, and no more than 3 or 4 strokes per nail or they start to heat up and hurt. If I hvaen't done his nails in a while and they're extra long, I have to do several sittings with him to shorten them up a bit at a time over a week or so.

Here's the attachment I have that really helps.

NailGrindingAttachment.jpg

I went a little low once when my boy was a pup and he has never let me do it again. Luckily, when they start getting a little long, he will sit there and chew on them to bring them down. Even spits out the nail chunk he got off. He's weird.

The other 2 are more active and rarely need their nails clipped.

My dog managed to not only get herself sprayed by a skunk last night, but an innocent bystander (myself) was victimized as well!

What a night. I felt horrible. Between the spraying, the hose treatment, the bath treatment, and spending the night outside, I'm certain she was wondering what she was being punished for.

No, I had a good consult from my dog groomer friend and he instructed me to make a hydrogen peroxide/baking soda mixture and sponge it onto her coat. "Just keep it out of her nose and her eyes" was his only warning, along with informing me that it would likely dry out her coat for a week or so, and possibly lighten it a bit. It didn't lighten it at all, but it did get most of the smell out.

As far as me, I honestly think I found a new home remedy. It washed from my skin in the outdoor shower quite easily, but getting it out of my hair took multiple lathers of Selsun Blue. So now I don't smell like skunk, AND my dandruff is well controlled :)

My dog managed to not only get herself sprayed by a skunk last night, but an innocent bystander (myself) was victimized as well!

What a night. I felt horrible. Between the spraying, the hose treatment, the bath treatment, and spending the night outside, I'm certain she was wondering what she was being punished for.

LOL!! When I'm driving down the road, I actually like the smell of skunk. I've been feet away when one sprayed, the smell is over whelming, it burns, it is so bad. Did you get sprayed? or were you feet away from being sprayed?

LOL!! When I'm driving down the road, I actually like the smell of skunk. I've been feet away when one sprayed, the smell is over whelming, it burns, it is so bad. Did you get sprayed? or were you feet away from being sprayed?

She got a direct spray in her face. Because of how it went down I was pinned in about 3 feet away, so I didn't get directly, but no doubt my eyes were burning and watering. That close its more like pepper spray and garlic then the usual skunk smell, and it was stuck in my nostrils all night. I wanted to take a faucet brush and some pbw to my nostrils, but alas, I thought better of it.

Edit: how it went down is kinda funny too. She loves me and is an old dog, but when I'm working in the yard/garage/house she follows me obsessively. She followed me to the corner of the yard where my composter is, and I was holding the composter cover when right at my feet, it popped out of a drain pipe the connects from my front yard. I knew she would chase it (her chase instinct is strong), but I froze solid hoping not to provoke a spray at me. She didn't see it at first, but in slow motion, she saw it, and before I could get "stop!" out of my mouth (ironically, she's very disciplined on command words, but "stop" is not one of them) she moved in for it. I held the composter cover out as a shield and she yelped and ran away after the spraying. I was still trapped, but the skunk went back into the drainpipe and is still there for all I know. That's another project. I want it gone!

She got a direct spray in her face. Because of how it went down I was pinned in about 3 feet away, so I didn't get directly, but no doubt my eyes were burning and watering. That close its more like pepper spray and garlic then the usual skunk smell, and it was stuck in my nostrils all night. I wanted to take a faucet brush and some pbw to my nostrils, but alas, I thought better of it.

Edit: how it went down is kinda funny too. She loves me and is an old dog, but when I'm working in the yard/garage/house she follows me obsessively. She followed me to the corner of the yard where my composter is, and I was holding the composter cover when right at my feet, it popped out of a drain pipe the connects from my front yard. I knew she would chase it (her chase instinct is strong), but I froze solid hoping not to provoke a spray at me. She didn't see it at first, but in slow motion, she saw it, and before I could get "stop!" out of my mouth (ironically, she's very disciplined on command words, but "stop" is not one of them) she moved in for it. I held the composter cover out as a shield and she yelped and ran away after the spraying. I was still trapped, but the skunk went back into the drainpipe and is still there for all I know. That's another project. I want it gone!

Oh man, that sounds horrible!

Every once in a while I can smell a strong scent of a skunk in our neighborhood and when I do, the dogs stay in the house. One night last spring, the smell was so strong by our house, we had to close all of our windows. We have a lot of stray cats in our neighborhood and I'm wondering if one of them didn't get sprayed that night. It was awful, that's all I know and I can't imagine getting in that close of proximity to getting sprayed.

They sell a product at most grocery stores called tecnu, its great for skunk smell and poison ivy before you break out. It works on pets also.

ForumRunner_20130701_200318.png

I drove over one once. I was in a truck that was high enough that I passed over it without doing more than touch it's tail... and induce it to spray. :p Whole lotta car washes before it went away.

Well, I should have been knocking on wood when discussing the whole skunk spraying thing. Two nights ago my wife and I let our dogs out to do their thing just before we were heading off to bed. Our windows were open and we suddenly smelled a strong skunk odor so we jumped up to let the dogs in... only it was too late. Our black lab came in and REEKED. She had gotten nailed in her face. Luckily it seemed to be contained to just the right side of her face and her right eye which she couldn't open. We are thinking the skunk was on the other side of our fence and it sprayed here through the cracks which seems to be why the spray was contained to a small part of her face. Made for a long night as we tried the tomato sauce bath and also shampooed her good right away.

She's doing much better today. We got some drops for her eyes from the vet and also some shampoo so she got yet another bath which she was thrilled about... not :). The smell is still there a bit but not too bad.

I just had to laugh at the timing of it all... :cross:

No, I had a good consult from my dog groomer friend and he instructed me to make a hydrogen peroxide/baking soda mixture and sponge it onto her coat. "Just keep it out of her nose and her eyes" was his only warning, along with informing me that it would likely dry out her coat for a week or so, and possibly lighten it a bit. It didn't lighten it at all, but it did get most of the smell out.

As far as me, I honestly think I found a new home remedy. It washed from my skin in the outdoor shower quite easily, but getting it out of my hair took multiple lathers of Selsun Blue. So now I don't smell like skunk, AND my dandruff is well controlled :)

Yes, the H2O2 and baking soda thing works. If you search, you will find that there is a 3rd ingredient which I believe is like dawn dish detergent. I think the dawn helps dissolve the oils in the skunk spray. Tomato juice is an old wives tale!

It took 2 or 3 applications but it was almost entirely gone from our dumbo German Shorthair Pointer. The only thing that didn't come clean was the collar. Had to throw it away.

**BTW, if you watch the movie "Marley and Me" don't watch the last 15 minutes. Just don't do it, you'll be sorry.

Yes, the H2O2 and baking soda thing works. If you search, you will find that there is a 3rd ingredient which I believe is like dawn dish detergent. I think the dawn helps dissolve the oils in the skunk spray. Tomato juice is an old wives tale!

It took 2 or 3 applications but it was almost entirely gone from our dumbo German Shorthair Pointer. The only thing that didn't come clean was the collar. Had to throw it away.

**BTW, if you watch the movie "Marley and Me" don't watch the last 15 minutes. Just don't do it, you'll be sorry.
Own the movie, haven't watched it.

But I read the book before the movie came out.

Took Harper to a Meet & Greet yesterday and learned two things...

1) He is very even tempered. He was introduced to a pack of dogs and the whole time one older male was mounting him and another younger male was nipping, posturing, etc. Harper just kept looking at the people standing around like "are you planning to do something about this?" Finally after about 15 minutes of it he let them know he was tired of their crap (no fights just backed them off) and life was good.

2) When in a new place surrounded by strange dogs he likes to mark everywhere and on everything... including the other dogs. It was hilarious. After about 5 minutes of the puppy messing with him he started raising his leg and pissing on him every time he was in range. Pretty sure before it was done he had marked everything in the large yard and each dog at least once. Don't know where it all came from, heh.

You can now say your dog likes other dogs. When I ask dog owners that, if they hesitate or take a deep breath, I know their dog has issues.

He has always done fine in places like obedience class or on leashed walks but haven't tested him in a park or with a pack before. I knew he was even tempered and well mannered around dogs but when they ganged him like that, specially the big one mounting (and I mean no joke like Harper was walking around with him on his back, lol) I was expecting something far more violent from him.

My last dog who was a tough hunting dog, had the same situation, my friends little dog wanted to mount my big dog, a few hours went buy, then their was a dogfight, it was a one sided fight. My friends were devastated (their dog was OK) just a little shaken from having his butt kicked. Their little dog got in fight after fight, it's entire life. Even to day if you ask them how that dog was tempered, they'ed say "other dog wanted to be his friend" they can't say he was a fighter. Thread drift over.

KB's great with one or two dogs and dives right into whatever they like to do. With a big pack he gets a bit overwhelmed at first and isn't quite sure what to do and usually comes to me to take him outta there, but he settles in after about 10 minutes and has a ball.

Murph is not a fighter. He is more like that guy down the street who is funny for a while, but then you hope he leaves the party early.

He does have a inborn desire to hate little birdies and track them down with his last breath.

Doggie.jpg

Harper (lizards, cats, possums, whatever) just wants to be their friend but the whole "I am WAY bigger than they are" thing usually escapes him until it is too late. Kind of the same deal with Tiggs (our cat) when he is nuzzling, licking, sniffing Tiggs he is knocking him around like a rag doll. Eventually Tiggs is like screw this and takes off though when Harper is chill Tiggs is fine with laying with him.

Labs rock. Grew up with a golden retriever/lab. I've met awesome dogs, but that dog basically rocked all of the important categories.

Typical. I like to call labs "a sack of snakes" ;). Personally at this point Im more of a french bulldog guy on the day to day (those dogs are like living throw-rugs) but I love a big sweet lab.

RIP Cheyenne.

Back