First AG batch doesn't taste good...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
Just kegged my first AG batch. It was a 3 gallon Two Hearted Ale clone which I got off the recipe board here on HomeBrewTalk.

All throughout the process I've been tasting a sample here and a sample there and right after the beer got to FG, it tasted much like other extract batches I've made. Green, a little yeasty, but tasted like my other batches.

After I let it sit in primary for about 3 weeks, I moved it to secondary and dry hopped with an ounce or so of Centennial whole leaf. The beer had a strange flavor then, but again I couldn't put my finger on it. It was on the dry hops for 5 nights and then I kegged it tonight. I took a sample from the kegerator and though it has some beer taste, it almost tastes sour.

It could be because it was still warm and flat, however I'm just not sure. Everyone is always advocating tasting beers while dry hopping to see if there "where you want them to be" but it just didn't really taste anything like what I expected the finished product to taste.

I will say that when I opened the bag of whole leaf hops that they did have kind of a different smell to them. It's been about a year and a half since I brewed last, but I almost wanted to say these smelled bad. They smelled more normal after I pulled them out of the fermenter when dry hopping was done.

Is fresh, warm, flat beer supposed to taste anything like the finished product, or am I expecting too much here?

Well if the dry hops smelled bad you shouldn't have added them. Its kinda like old flour, it taste and smells weird, why do my cookies taste like s**t. Also could be sanitation or oxidation.

Back