Cold crashing at 21*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
Is cold crashing at 21* too cold? Also if I am going that low can I get by only crashing for 1 day or should I still let it chill for a couple days before bottling.

Prymal said:
Is cold crashing at 21* too cold? Also if I am going that low can I get by only crashing for 1 day or should I still let it chill for a couple days before bottling.

.... 21° fahrenheit? You making eisbier? Or just beer slurpees?

Be careful. I did a cold crash 36 hour cold crash in my minifridge at the coldest setting sans a temperature controller and I ended up with an exploded growler (sanitizer inside froze and broke the growler) and 5 gallons of pumpkin beer slush. I'd keep the temp controller just above freezing to be safe.

Ambient temp tonight in my unfinished bonus room above the garage. The beer is in a 6 gallon better bottle. It has been there for about 6 hours. Maybe I'll pull it inside before I go to bed.

I pulled the fermenter inside. I could see that a significant amount of yeast had come out of suspension so I'll probably put the fermenter back outside tomorrow to clean things up a bit more then bottle on Tuesday before I head off to work. Thanks for the quick reply everyone I would have hated to end up with frozen beer.

I have wondered myself how low one can go before you end up with beer slush. I have cold crashed down to 30 degrees and been ok. I know the stronger the beer the lower you can go before it freezez.

Well 6 hours at 25-21* produces as clean of a beer as I have seen and when I woke up this morning the fermenter was still cooler then the houses ambient temp.

Back