No water report available, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndsgr

Reaction score
I am unable to obtain a water report. The reasons are: 1) There are mixed sources that supply my water and the quantities vary. 2) The information is gathered by a federal (not state/county/city) agency and I think it would be easier obtaining sustained nuclear fusion. Long story, but let's just say I have gotten to the end of the chain, and it still doesn't solve problem "1".

The only information I have been able to obtain is that the water is "hard" and the pH is approximately 7.5 - 8. Also, it is treated with chlorine and not chloramines.

My next beer is a Saison. My understanding is that the region from which it originates has "hard" water and a high pH.

Should I:

-Buy "Spring" bottled water?
-Use my tap water with chlorine removed? If so, should I add 5.2 buffer?

Thanks!

Probably the best thing to do would be to send a sample off to Ward Labs and have it checked. At the price it's a pretty good deal. Don't do this at the change of seasons though.

As a general rule most mains water in the US is suitable for brewing most beers. If you want to be on the safe side by reverse osmosis water, add a teaspoonful of calcium chloride to 5 gallons and brew with that. It would be hard to go wrong.

In subsequent batches add some gypsum as well as the calcium chloride. This will make the hops taste more assertive, drier and harsher. See if you like this. Keep adjusting the gypsum until you get what pleases you best.

I would brew with it. I don't worry much about pH because I do full 60 minute mashes which with modern malts will achieve full conversion. You can add Camden Tablets to remove the chlorine.

The general rule is that if it tastes good, you can brew with it.

Thanks guys. The water does taste ok, but it's amazing the spots that are on my car from the sprinklers. Cleaning wax won't even take it off.

I would send it in, but the city/well mixture varies. Plus there are at least 7 different wells they draw from. Makes it a bit challenging. Hopefully moving in May though...

Back