Green Bay Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had an interesting day yesterday. I took my son shopping (ugh) yesterday, and we went to the nearest mall. That's about 145 miles from here, so I never, ever go to the mall. Anyway, after doing some rapid-fire shopping (he hates shopping too), we went to Legends Brewpub. The beer was medicre, food was ok. The service was great, though. While I was there, I grabbed a phone book and looked up the "House of Homebrew", a LHBS that I've never tried before. It was near downtown, so we went to check it out. Small store, decent selection, especially for wine, and very nice knowledgable staff.

While I was talking to the guy working there, he told me to go over to Titletown Brewing, and tell "David" that Chuck sent me. I went the one block down to Titletown, and was amazed by how good it was! There was a terrific selection of brews, it was happy hour, and the Brewer's game was on the big screen. From my seat at the bar, I could see David brewing. The bartender, Kathy, was very friendly and I felt quite at home!

I pushed my face closer to the glass, so I could see better. He was weighing hops, weighing whirlfloc tablets, and so on. He climbed up to the boil kettle and added the hops. Maybe he was just uncomfortable by being watched by a woman with her face pressed up on the glass, but once he added the hops he came out through the glass doors and started talking to me. He spent about 20 minutes with me, talking about the brewing process, the hops he uses, the beers that are filtered, who empties the mashtun, etc.

He was in the middle of a boil of a Scottish ale. He said he took the first runnings, and "boiled the **** out of it" and then added the rest of the runnings and boiled some more to carmelize the wort. He talked about maillard reactions, and then told me that he's been using nugget hops for bittering for most of his beers. I was a bit surprised by that, but he said he entered that contract a couple of years ago when the hops shortage really limited his options, and that once it's done with those, he'll use other hops too. He said that the IPA is bittered with chinook- he didn't like using nuggets for that beer, and was happier with the chinook for the IPA.

He showed me the fermenting tanks, and the "push button" temperature control. By a button, the glycol cooled fermenters have the temperature changed. He has a primary at 65, a lager at 50, etc, right next to each other. He said that they cold condition every one of their beers for 3 days before moving to the serving tanks. He also mentioned that ALL beers get the temperature ramped up after fermentation ends, by several degrees. He said that all of the beers "clean up" well with that treatment. The beers are served at 2-3 weeks old.

I had a great California common- which I've never found in a brewpub before. He told me that it was fermented with a lager yeast at 68 degrees and he was very happy with it.

I forgot to ask him the size of the batch- but I watched him weigh the whirlfloc, and there were many tablets in there! I mentioned that to him, and he said that he recommends using 1/2 tablet for 5 gallons.

It was a fun day, and the entire place was really cool. It's in an old train station, so the atmosphere was great. It was happy hour, so there were quite a few people around, and I got to talk about beer with the other patrons. My son sat patiently and waited for me.

The beer selection was awesome- I really want to go back soon. Since I was limited to two beers (2.5 hour drive home!) I left wanting more.

It was definitely the highlight of my "shopping" experience, that's for sure!

Sounds better than any shopping trip I ever had!

Having lived in or near big cities all my life it always shocks me a bit when somebody says they have to drive 150 miles to a mall. I would guess that most small towns don't have brew pubs either - maybe an entrepreneur opportunity!

They were at GABF last year. Liked the Johnny "Blood" Red Ale

He mentioned that was the best seller, and the house favorite. I didn't get to sample it.

I guess it is kind of strange for people who live near cities to think about what shopping entails for us wilderness-ish dwellers. The internet really is how we do the vast majority of our shopping. Everything from boat propellers, homebrew items, clothing, CDs, etc, comes from the internet. My son, at age 17, finds it hard to buy the clothes he wants at a decent price online, though, especially if it might not fit. He needed jeans, school shoes, running shoes for cross-country, etc, so we really had to shop in person.

Some of my friends go to Green Bay and stay overnight a couple times a year for shopping trips. Since my least favorite place in the world is a mall, and my second least favorite place is any place that involves hordes of people, we don't go very often. We do go to Milwaukee occasionally for baseball games, concerts, theatre, etc.

Now that I had such a great time at Titletown Brewing, I can see me heading there a couple of times a year, though.

Sounds like a great trip, but where are the pics?! :D

Wow- can you believe it never even occurred to me to have Brent snap a few pics on his phone? Duh! I guess that shows how un-wired I am. I don't have a cellphone, but he does. I never even thought about taking pictures of the boiling kettle with all the steam, the grain in the mashtun, etc.

In my defense, we were really only supposed to go to the mall and there isn't anything photo worthy in there!

Oh, by the way, we enjoyed doing a full slow drive by of Lambeau Field. Speaking of not taking pictures.....................:cross:

Wow- can you believe it never even occurred to me to have Brent snap a few pics on his phone? Duh! I guess that shows how un-wired I am. I don't have a cellphone, but he does. I never even thought about taking pictures of the boiling kettle with all the steam, the grain in the mashtun, etc.

In my defense, we were really only supposed to go to the mall and there isn't anything photo worthy in there!

Oh, by the way, we enjoyed doing a full slow drive by of Lambeau Field. Speaking of not taking pictures.....................:cross:

I think that is crazy!!! But ti sure would be nice sometimes to be unreachable.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Only 2 beers? Does your son have his license??

I would have peed on it. :rockin:

Thems fightin owrd there.

But seriously, Titletown makes good beer. One of my best friends has family there and often brings back 1/2 barrels for "tasting". Next time in the area I would also suggest Hinterland Brewery, which is across the street. If possible, go at night becdause they have one of the coolest tasting room/lounges I know of, very modern shiek. Unfortunately the beer is better and FAR less expensive at Titletown.

Titletown FTW, their IPA Hopasoraus Rex is amazing. I've spoke with the brewmaster a few times. Hinterland I've never been impressed with...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. As a fellow Yooper, I get down to GB a few times a year for various things and try to hit up Titletown. Unfortunately the last few times I've been there I've been a bit unimpressed. The last time I was there I had their porter on cask that was downright nasty, and a freshly tapped "nut brown" that was much more like a porter than anything. I'll keep going, but it's definitely not the best thing ever.

I think that is crazy!!! But ti sure would be nice sometimes to be unreachable.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Only 2 beers? Does your son have his license??

Oh, yeah he has his license- but my car is like 3 weeks old and I just wasn't ready to let him drive that one yet!

It's ok, I only had to stop once at a road side park since I only had two beers. Any more and I would never made it home!

Well, I guess I should stop whining about going 25 miles for a beer. Reminds me of living in Las Vegas and driving to San Beanie to hit the Trader Joe's or go to the RenFaire. I think there's an actual shopping mall in Portland. I remember driving around an enormous parking lot once and since there weren't any drunks puking in their SUVs, I knew it wasn't a sports arena.

I dug this thread up while doing a search for local brewers. Titletown is my haunt of choice and House of Homebrew is where I get 95% of my supplies. Hinterland across the street also has good craft beer, but the atmosphere is snooty. Fratello's (a little south on the river) has great atmosphere, but their beer is comparable to Legends'.

Anyhow, if you ever happen to make the trek down here again feel free to give me a shout!

If you're looking for local brewers and aren't aware, check out these homebrew clubs that are around your area:
Green Bay Rackers - www.rackers.org - I know a few people in this club and judged their homebrew competition last year but that's about all I know. The last few times I went to HoH, the guy that was working was the club's treasurer.
Tri-County Fermenters - www.tricountyfermenters.com - Based in Northeast WI but has plenty of members from the UP (myself included). Good group of people.
Appleton Libation Enthusiasts - www.thealeclub.org - I've only met two of their members at TCF events, so don't know too much about this club.
Bay de Noc Brewers - www.baydenocbrewers.org - Based in Escanaba, MI and my homebrew club. We have a little over 50 members and have a lot of fun, but make a point to learn more about brewing/beer at every meeting as well.

I actually just joined the Rackers last Tuesday night after much prompting from some of their members I have met over the years.

I was in that area (11/11/10) and stayed at the hotel across the river so i could walk to the brewpubs:) I preferred Hinterlands beer, the Oktoberfest and Porter were memorable. The Oktoberfest was a very good example of the style and the Porter was almost Black IPAish, very good. I didn't really leave Titletown with a favorite. Had the full sampler (10+ beers I think it was) and only 2 or 3 were worth a full pint.

Every year I go to two Packers games, and make sure I hit up Titletown. Great brewpub with decent food. Id always wanted to go to Hinterland, but Im not up for paying $25+ for their food.

BTW, Go Pack Go!!

I wasn't going to say it, but yes. I prefer Hinterland's beer. It's just the dark atmosphere with only 3-4 yuppies to keep you company that I don't like.
I hang out at TT because it's fun and I also happen to know a lot of the staff. The left hand column of the menu at TT are their regular brews. Many people like Johnny Blood Red. The regular stuff isn't quite exotic enough for me and I enjoy their rotating selection because it is a little more edgy and even if I don't always like the current batch it often gives me ideas of what I would like to do at home. "Dark Helmet" is a delicious schwarzbier that is listed on the rotating menu but has been brewed consistently for over a year now.

yatta yatta so on and so forth

Yep, Title Town is a great place. I used to go there quite a bit when I lived in GB. I also really like Hinterland.

AHHHHHH, CHINOOK! THAT's why I love their IPA!! I knew there was something in it that I loved.

I was at TitleTown Brewing on Monday and had the Hop.Rex IPA. It was SOOO good I wanted to dive in head first. I'm glad I did this search!

Also, we sat outside while we ate our lunch. We got a kick out of the little friendly birds. If they were gulls, we wouldn't have been so amused. But they were little "peeping" birds, so they were cute.

Man, now I really want to brew the CHAS (chinook, amarillo, simcoe) IPA that I"ve been planning for quite a while. I don't have any simcoe though......... Josh???? ;o) ;o)

Man, now I really want to brew the CHAS (chinook, amarillo, simcoe) IPA that I"ve been planning for quite a while. I don't have any simcoe though......... Josh???? ;o) ;o)

I'm pretty sure I have a few ounces in the freezer. How much are you looking for? Shoot me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do. I'll be brewing an IPA this weekend as well but offhand I think my recipe only uses an ounce of Simcoe.

Back