Beginner brew pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I blind? How large are these pots?

Mainly a spigot is used for when your mashing, to transfer your wort from the mashtun to the brew kettle. Its not needed if you don't plan to use it as a mash tun... and would save you some $.

I guess you could also use it to get the wort into the fermeneter after your done boiling, but a auto siphon works just fine.

In both of those scenarios you would need a false bottom.

False bottom is listed in the related products on those links you provided.

Basically all it does is act as a filter.. so when you mash in the pot, your grains sit above the false bottom, but allow liquid to fall through and out the spigot (so it doesn't clog it).

EDIT:
You're only going to have to worry about all that if you are doing All Grain though. If you dont plan to do that... then don't worry about it and just get a regular pot.

I have a 8 gallon brew pot with a spigot, thermometer and false bottom. I use it to make extract beer.

8 gallons is probably the smallest size you'd want to make a 5 gallon batch. You could get away with a 7.5 gallon but the 8 gallon really helps avoid boil overs.

The spigot is fantastic. I love it for transfering the wort from the pot to the fermenter. Just attach a hose and open the valve. Without the spigot you have to lift the pot and pour it or do some sort of siphon. I think the spigot is way easier and very sanitary.

Thermometer is great for steeping and cooling. Sure you could use a floating thermometer but the built in is ever easier. You can easily know the temp any time. Even with the lid closed.

The false bottom is not essential but it does a great job of screening out trub and hop junk when I drain the pot into the fermenter from the spigot.

I love my pot!

This pot isn't 'heavy duty' at all. It is more of a bare minimum starter pot. I was originally skeptical about how sturdy it was, but it has worked just fine for my first two brews. The handles are riveted through the sides, so it is sturdy enough to carry from my stove to the sink while it is full of wort.

I don't know about shipping, because I picked it up at the store.

I found these. Anyone have an opinion on them?

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/brewpot-spigot-kit-installed-p204.aspx
http://store.homebrewheaven.com/brewpot-spigot-kit-installed-p204.aspx

Why would/wouldn't I get one with a spigot?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

You wont need anything if you are doing extract . The false bottom is to stop the hops from going into the fermentor when I started I just used a SS wire mesh vegetable strainer and poured the wort into the bucket . Any pot will work and they don't need to be stainless steel either. People have used enameled pots with success I use aluminum .

If you use buckets you can just pour the wort in and it will aid in aeration.

Back