Whitelabs Yeast Energizer and Nutrients...4 years old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
I purchased this product and the label says, "viable within 9 months." Well, it was made in Jan 03. Buyer Beware! Anyhow, should I still use it or will it make a difference?

I guess it depends what it is made up of. I guess certain things could last years before going bad. A lot of things with a use by date it is more of a suggestion. My plant makes a shelf stable food product with a 9 month use by date, but all of our studies show it is good for up to 2 years in the right conditions.

i'm still eating rice thats "use by" date expired six months ago. still tastes fine to me ;)

nutrients are pretty much just dead yeast anyway...they're not going to get any deader, although the nutrients inside them might break down over time. hrm...can't hurt but may not be helping

From what I understand, yeast energizer is just Ammonium Bicarbonate and dead yeast hulls. I work in a lab and we have shelf reagents (incl. NH4CO3(2)) that are more than a year old and still use them w/o a problem. Yeast hulls are dead, so there's really no spoiling them, is there?

I think it's just manufacture protocol to state that info. Go ahead and use it and see if it's ok, I say.

Back