I just scored a sweet 1940's fridge for free. What controller do you guys recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDingleberry

Reaction score
My mom is cleaning out her basement and offered me a 1940's refrigerator for free as long as I hauled it out. It is now in my kitchen. Here are some pictures.

DZ8gf.jpg

5yFIO.jpg

It definitely needs a good cleaning. It works great (it will actually freeze water bottles if you turn it down too far) and it holds two carboys. I really want to try my hands at lagering, so I need a temp controller.

I have seen some threads where people modified thermostats and stuff, but being that I don't have wire, or a soldering iron I'm not sure if that would be cost effective for me. Is there anything out there you guys prefer to use?

Nice. If it were me I'd find another way to lager cause those old fridges make the sexiest kegerators.

You can just get a temp controller. Most HBS have them

Well, I'm pretty new to brewing. I don't plan on kegging for a while, so It will be used for lagering for now.

As for the controller there are quite a few out there, and I was just wondering if there was a certain model that a lot of people use. Also the analog ones are cheaper than digital. Are they less accurate?

Nice fridge...maybe your fridge and mine could like "hook up"...if like he's not spoken for...

Haha. That's a damn nice fridge. My friend helped me move mine today, and told me that I should take it to a body shop, and have them paint it that old sea-foam green color. Now I'm actually considering it.

Haha. That's a damn nice fridge. My friend helped me move mine today, and told me that I should take it to a body shop, and have them paint it that old sea-foam green color. Now I'm actually considering it.

I'm sure the body shop could do a helluva job...I simply bought a quart of rustolium enamel and painted two coats w/ a foam brush...cheap easy and looks pretty good.

I like the ranco controllers btw, about 50 bucks and an old extension cord if you can wire it yourself.

I'm sure the body shop could do a helluva job...I simply bought a quart of rustolium enamel and painted two coats w/ a foam brush...cheap easy and looks pretty good.

I like the ranco controllers btw, about 50 bucks and an old extension cord if you can wire it yourself.

I think I am going to look into the Ranco controller. All of the ones that are wired look to be $80-$100 and I'm sure I can handle a few wire nuts and electrical tape.

Also, when you say a foam brush, do you mean an actual brush, or a roller? I may need to look into doing this.

They are less accurate in the sense that setting a knob to the mark somewhere near 65 degrees is less precise than inputting the temperature digitally.

Oh, baloney. I have a Johnson controller (analog) and I keep a dial thermometer inside my chest freezer for verification purposes. It is always dead-nutz on.

I wonder how much more energy those oldies use. I had a stand up freezer from the early 80's that literally dimmed the lights when the compressor kicked on.

I'd kind of like to know too. It is nearly completely silent which may be a good sign. And, my mom had it plugged in at her house for 25 years without any crazy power bills. I'd like to get my hands on a kill-a-watt to do a comparison with my ten year old side-by-side.

BTW, turn that piece of carpet upside down (the soft side down). Or, double it up. Right now the "grain" of the carpet will scratch the beegezus out of your hardwood floor!

M_C

Thanks for the tip. I did think about that, but will it scratch even if it doesn't move for a long time?

Thanks for the tip. I did think about that, but will it scratch even if it doesn't move for a long time?

I'm not saying "it will"... but... It could, from compressor vibration or opening the door, or someone bumping the fridge.

I had a piece of carpet over hardwood floor where the dog walked... it scratched the hardwood.

It's cheap insurance to turn it upside down.

Also, I've moved heavy furniture on hardwoods with the upside down carpet method without scratching anything, works quite well!

To find out exactly what your appliance is pulling out of the wall, you can pick up one of these Kill-A-Watt

main_p4400.jpg

Plug this into the wall and your appliance into it. It will tell you the current draw.

They have another model that will tell you the actual cost to run that appliance.

main_p4460.jpg

Kill-A-Watt EZ

To find out exactly what your appliance is pulling out of the wall, you can pick up one of these Kill-A-Watt

main_p4400.jpg

Plug this into the wall and your appliance into it. It will tell you the current draw.

They have another model that will tell you the actual cost to run that appliance.

main_p4460.jpg

Kill-A-Watt EZ

Yeah, I've seen those. If one of my friends had one, I would borrow it, but I don't think it would make sense to buy one just to see how much power my fridge uses. If it uses a whole lot, I will see it on my bill anyway.

Yeah, while the fridge does look rad, there's a pretty good chance you could buy a new fridge and make up the difference after a year of lower power bills. Those older models really guzzled the power. On the other hand, if it isn't on all the time, it might be okay- depends on how well-insulated it is, I guess. Personally, though, I use a chest freezer. They're efficient and quiet as all get-out. It added something like $10/year to my electric bill.

Yeah, while the fridge does look rad, there's a pretty good chance you could buy a new fridge and make up the difference after a year of lower power bills. Those older models really guzzled the power. On the other hand, if it isn't on all the time, it might be okay- depends on how well-insulated it is, I guess. Personally, though, I use a chest freezer. They're efficient and quiet as all get-out. It added something like $10/year to my electric bill.

Well, now I need to find someone with a kill-a-watt. The walls are WAY thicker than a modern fridge, (they are nearly 4" and my side by side are 1.5") and it hardly runs if the door is left closed.

Don't worry about the power useage on that fridge for fermentation. Lagering will use juice, but fermentation will be about 50 so you are good. For lagering you will want a chest freezer with a controller.

I'm curious about the energy output of this fridge as well. My neighbor has this fridge he is willing to let me take off his hands and I was concerned about the energy output. I would be using if for fermentation.

018.jpg

017.jpg

Wow. If they spawn can I have one?

Back