Cold Crash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
So I have this RIS, bourbon oaked...Primary for 5 weeks, rack to keg to bulk age with oak soaked in bourbon for another 3-4 weeks. Removed the oak and put the keg in the fridge for the last 5-6wks.

I'm thinking I want to bottle the end of July or mid August, unless I need the keg sooner, and I hope I do, then cellar the bottles until Thanksgiving or Christmas. That will give me almost 9mos of aging, the most discipline I have ever had.

Anyway, when I bottle will I need to sprinkle some dry yeast for bottle conditioning or is there still enough in solution? I'll let it warm to room temp prior to the transfer to bottle.

I'll probably cold crash the ESB I did this weekend but will keg it so I'm not worried about the yeast, any concerns here?

Thanks for the advice. :mug:

After all the aging, most or almost all the yeast will have dropped out. It would be a shame to to get under carbed bottles (assuming your bottling conditioning) at the end of your long wait. If you have the keg, force carbonate. If you bottle condition, Id add new yeast with the proper amount of priming sugar.

After all the aging, most or almost all the yeast will have dropped out. It would be a shame to to get under carbed bottles (assuming your bottling conditioning) at the end of your long wait. If you have the keg, force carbonate. If you bottle condition, Id add new yeast with the proper amount of priming sugar.

Yeah, I will be bottling this batch so I can age some for next winter as well without taking up precious keg space. I also want to make sure I don't overcarb so I'll look up the yeast and suger combo. I certainly don't want a "fizzy" RIS. Thanks

You could prime with bottling sugar & more yeast in the keg before you actually bottle. That way you get the nice natural carb champagne bubbles and you can be 100% sure it's carbonated correctly before bottling.

couple friends of mine have done RIS and Barleywine. No need to add extra yeast. They might just take a long time to bottle condition, but you said you are gonna let them sit for a few months, so that should be fine.

As well as you dont want under carbed bottles, you certainly DONT want overcarbed bottles that will explode in your cellar.

Id keg condition it, unless you have a Co2 can. Once it gets to the desired carbonation level, then bottle using the BMBG, "We no need no stinking beer gun" thread method! I use it on just about every batch and it is great for bottling.

Id keg condition it, unless you have a Co2 can. Once it gets to the desired carbonation level, then bottle using the BMBG, "We no need no stinking beer gun" thread method! I use it on just about every batch and it is great for bottling.

I have read that thread and plan to use it, already bought the extra cane and stopper. How does it last for extended aging? I'm thinking like the next year or so, maybe longer if I can keep my greedy paws off of it. Thanks.

How does it last for extended aging? I'm thinking like the next year or so, maybe longer if I can keep my greedy paws off of it. Thanks.

Dont do it on this beer dude. Also, when it really comes down to it, you still have to bottle every single beer. Not necessarily that much easier or quicker than standard bottling. My take on it is its meant more to bottle a 12er or a couple growlers before you go to a party. The beers will stay full carbed for a few weeks, but I wouldnt chance it with your big beer set for extended aging.

Latest posts

Back