Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article on IPA's for people who dont like IPA's. There isnt one regular IPA on the list! There are 2 IIPA's, a pale ale, IPL, and a BARLEYWINE?! Although I do agree that 8bit could pass as an IPA, its still a pale ale. :smack:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB1000...581562?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5&mobile=y

I get the caveat over style, but I think it makes sense in a way. Despite the higher IBUs, a lot of IIPAs seem to have a lower perceived bitterness due to the increased malty sweetness.

Barleywine, on the other hand, is a pretty big stretch as a gateway to IPAs. I know a few big IPA drinkers who still can't get into barleywines.

I have that same problem cause I drink Milwaukee's best sometimes.

For some inexplicable reason my perfect shower beer after a day at the beach is Natty Ice. I do hear about it though when my son sees the cans in my beer corner. Something about spending the day out in the sun demands a crap beer for the first one.

For some inexplicable reason my perfect shower beer after a day at the beach is Natty Ice. I do hear about it though when my son sees the cans in my beer corner. Something about spending the day out in the sun demands a crap beer for the first one.

Closest thing to water that your body is demanding? :p

Funny thing overheard from a nearby table at the local watering hole, which happens to feature lot of local brews:

Guy 1: I see the board says $3 drafts, but which ones?
Server: All our drafts are $3 tonight.
Guy 1: Oh, good. I'll have a Coors Light.
Guy 2: You're an idiot. I'll have a Sun King Cream Ale.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Funny thing overheard from a nearby table at the local watering hole, which happens to feature lot of local brews:

This is awesome. Thanks for the laugh!

That's hilarious. The last time I had Coors Light, I think it was $2 for a pitcher.

I know that feeling. There's a place by me that does all beers for $2 on Tuesdays. They have a good selection too, so you could get a Coors Light or a Stone IPA, and it would still cost only $2. Why would you not order something different? Even if you don't end up liking it, you aren't taking a big hit to the wallet.

I actually laughed out loud at this one. Hehehe

Bored on my lunch break and read a "12 Things You Didn't Know About PBR" article I stumbled across. The first comment is talking about how it is the beer of choice for Goth/Punk/Metal concert attendees and how he has been drinking it for over 10 years. His next comment: "Only Bud/Coors Light is cheaper and I won't touch that swill."

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bored on my lunch break and read a "12 Things You Didn't Know About PBR" article I stumbled across. The first comment is talking about how it is the beer of choice for Goth/Punk/Metal concert attendees and how he has been drinking it for over 10 years. His next comment: "Only Bud/Coors Light is cheaper and I won't touch that swill."

Hilarious! That kind of comment is a brand marketer's wet dream.

Had an interesting conversation with a neighbor not too long ago. Got to talking about beer, mentioned I brewed it, and offered to give him some.

Me: So what do you normally like? Just BMC stuff, or other things? Malty, hoppy, big, easy drinking?

Neighbor: Oh, yeah, I like hoppy.

Me: You like the hoppy stuff? Great. Me too. Good to find someone who's not afraid of a little pleasant bitterness.

Neighbor: Oh, I don't like it when beer is bitter at all.

Me: ...

Had an interesting conversation with a neighbor not too long ago. Got to talking about beer, mentioned I brewed it, and offered to give him some.

Me: So what do you normally like? Just BMC stuff, or other things? Malty, hoppy, big, easy drinking?

Me: You like the hoppy stuff? Great. Me too. Good to find someone who's not afraid of a little pleasant bitterness.

I like miller the best cause it's triple hoppy!

I actually had an IPA last night that was super hoppy, huge tropical frut aroma... take a sip and pretty big juciy flavour... but then no bitterness at all (well very little)! It was weird, and made the beer fall flat somewhat. What I like is a balance when the malt sweetness is subdued by the hops/bitterness but not beaten into submission :D I personally don't like enamal stripping IPA where it is nothing but bitter, but this beer just went too far the other way and was just not enjoyable either.
Edit - Sorry it was a pale ale, but the above still stands the bitterness did not balance the malt and it just didn't taste nice - like they through all the hops in at the end and hoped enough bitterness would come out.

Surprised to hear Stone taking a beating out here...So, I'm out on the West Coast (San Diego) (from Michigan), sitting at breakfast on the last day of a convention listening to the talk about drinking.

The hotel bar only had Stone Pale above and beyond the usual BMC stuff.

One guy says - "Oh, can't stand that toilet bowl cleaner".

Next guys says - "yeah -that stuff has cleaned a lot of toilet bowls"!

I guess these guys were thru and thru BMC'ers.

Enjoyed my stay...Coronado Brew, Karl Strauss brew, Pliney the Elder, Green Flash IPA....nice to have a few days out in Callie!

A lot of the locals seem to hate on Stone for some reason. Granted, there are a LOT of other amazing beers in SD county, but Stone is very good IMO. Maybe people think they sold out since they distribute so widely now?

A lot of the locals seem to hate on Stone for some reason. Granted, there are a LOT of other amazing beers in SD county, but Stone is very good IMO. Maybe people think they sold out since they distribute so widely now?

bingo its to mainstream and would hurt their street cred

Anytime a brewery, restaurant, vacation spot, rock band or anything else becomes popular, some folks are going to start hating on it. I guess it's their way of showing us how elite they are....

My cousin is the guy who comes over to watch a game and says as he walks through the door with a 12 pack of miller lite,"I'm drinking some dark beer tonight!" I just shake my head and chuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So...how can nobody be going to Stone if it's always too crowded? ;)

The general consensus is that stone unnecessarily over hops their beers and that they're always too bitter. I like stone but I also tend to agree.

I'm not a big Stone fan myself. Their IRS is the only thing to really wow me so far. But I do appreciate their beer philosophy and passion.

I'm not a big Stone fan myself. Their IRS is the only thing to really wow me so far. But I do appreciate their beer philosophy and passion.

I liked some of the epic vertical, and I really like the Enjoy By... IPA's. But they're not a "go to" for me.

kind of like when Metallica started to get played on the radio
their hard core fans started to say they sold out
Lars announced they had sold out, every show for the last several years

anytime some one or something gets popular, they have sold out
good beer is good beer and Stone makes good beer

kind of like when Metallica started to get played on the radio
their hard core fans started to say they sold out
Lars announced they had sold out, every show for the last several years

anytime some one or something gets popular, they have sold out
good beer is good beer and Stone makes good beer

The day Stone sues their fans for cloning their brews I will eat my mash paddle.

I picked up a bottle each of Stone's Cali-Belgie IPA and Arrogant Bastard Ale this evening.

Yeah, they were a little hoppy for my tastes. But hey... that is Stone's schtick.

I enjoyed the Arrogant Bastard more than the IPA, because the usual Stone in-your-face hops seemed like they were part of a beer big enough to handle them.

I picked up a bottle each of Stone's Cali-Belgie IPA and Arrogant Bastard Ale this evening.

Yeah, they were a little hoppy for my tastes. But hey... that is Stones schtick.

I enjoyed the Arrogant Bastard more than the IPA, because the usual Stone in-your-face hops seemed like they were part of a beer big enough to handle them.

Schticks and Stones?

Out for dinner last night. Asked the bartender what IPAs' they had. Only one, Ranger from New Belgium. Friend a few stools down said he had it once and hated it. Said it was bitter and another odd flavor.

I ordered it and after I had a couple mouthfuls he asked what I thought. Just said; This is pretty good, good body, nice clean hop flavor and aroma.

His reply, "This must be the problem then", and held up his bottle of Coors Light. "This is usually all that I drink."

Out for dinner last night. Asked the bartender what IPAs' they had. Only one, Ranger from New Belgium. Friend a few stools down said he had it once and hated it. Said it was bitter and another odd flavor.

I ordered it and after I had a couple mouthfuls he asked what I thought. Just said; This is pretty good, good body, nice clean hop flavor and aroma.

His reply, "This must be the problem then", and held up his bottle of Coors Light. "This is usually all that I drink."

I think we've had a breakthrough! :D

At a restaurant a few days ago, I flight I would be nice and ask what their craft beer selection was to avoid the dreaded long list of crap. The waitress looked at me with a blank stare and said "craft... beer?" Then looked around as if I was speaking another language and needed an interpreter.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back