I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any tricks to that capper? It didn't come with directions, so I figure just put in a bottle and smash a cap on it.

I will be bottling some other beers shortly to get my bmbf technique down.

no not really, you just need to make sure you have the right die on the driver.
Then set your hieght and go to town.

Here are the assignments.

I'll have names and addresses out to you all in the next few days.

I recommend shipping no later than the end of April. It is paramount that you communicate with your recipient. Having **** happen in life that causes delays is one thing (and perfectly understandable). Leaving a recipient hanging with no communication is a problem.

Congratulations and good luck on your mission. We're all counting on you.

999_Swap_Names.jpg

Put mine in the keg a couple days ago. It has some chill-haze. Should I just leave it in the keg for a month (this usually clears up haze) or use some gelatin finnings?

Mine started out at 1.112 then got stuck at 1.060. I pitched it onto a yeast cake of wlp001 and it brought it all the way down to 1.012, over 13% ABV. It still has an alchohol bite but with a nice malt taste. I should keg this weekend then I should be able to bottle in plenty of time to ship.

Yikes, I draw a BJCP judge and a moderator. Well at least i'll get some experienced feedback. Now im sick to my stomach.:eek:

Put mine in the keg a couple days ago. It has some chill-haze. Should I just leave it in the keg for a month (this usually clears up haze) or use some gelatin finnings?
I wouldn't be concerned with haze on a barleywine. Your recipient can put the bottles into a fridge somewhere and forget about them for months...that will clear up almost any beer.

I wouldn't be concerned with haze on a barleywine. Your recipient can put the bottles into a fridge somewhere and forget about them for months...that will clear up almost any beer.

True, the small beer (well.. 1.055 or something) from this batch took a couple months to clear up but it is really nice now.

Yikes, I draw a BJCP judge and a moderator. Well at least i'll get some experienced feedback. Now im sick to my stomach.:eek:

Just have them hand delivered by your avatar, and all will be well.

Folks, I probably will not get mine out until the end of the month. For those sending to me, don't bother rushing too much, as I will not be able to receive them next week.

Fun time!

TL

I've some beer in the pipeline that I'd like to include in my swap packages, depending on how it turns out so I won't be shipping until around the middle of April.

Just FYI so my recipient's don't get too anxious. :)

I've some beer in the pipeline that I'd like to include in my swap packages, depending on how it turns out so I won't be shipping until around the middle of April.

Just FYI so my recipient's don't get too anxious. :)

+1 I've got a stout needing to get into a keg, so mine probably won't go out until the first or second week of April.

I just dry hopped mine, and im waiting on an IPA to age a little, so mine won't go out until mid April.:mug:

Mine will go out mid April and I'll be adding in some other brews too. If you are recieving from me and there is a craft brew that you can not get and I can let me know I may add that in there too.

Mine will go out mid April and I'll be adding in some other brews too. If you are recieving from me and there is a craft brew that you can not get and I can let me know I may add that in there too.

Is that cool with everyone? Im going to send six out, could 1 include a regional brew? All I have to offer besides the barley wine are pales and ipa's, mabey a lesser hop head would enjoy a regional porter or stout.

How many 12 oz bottles fit in the 12 x 12 x 8 ebay boxes? I'm trying to plan for what I'm sending out.

It looks like a sixer will fit, but they have to be laying down, is that ok? I've never shipped beer before. I imagine before they arrive they will be in every position possible.

They'll be fine laying down, just wrap each one in bubble wrap then pad both ends and sides of the box with bubble wrap. That way they don't move around and break. UPS is not kind to boxes.

How many 12 oz bottles fit in the 12 x 12 x 8 ebay boxes? I'm trying to plan for what I'm sending out.

Six will fit comfortably. I've packed as many as eight with no problems.

The keys are:
  • Adequate padded wrapping around each bottle. ( I use bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper)
  • Adequate stuffing between bottles and edges of box (news paper or foam peanuts)
  • A nice tight fit so nothing is moving around.

Also make sure to include a list of what bottles are what with some sort of cap marking or tape on label.

Six will fit comfortably. I've packed as many as eight with no problems.

The keys are:
  • Adequate padded wrapping around each bottle. ( I use bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper)
  • Adequate stuffing between bottles and edges of box (news paper or foam peanuts)
  • A nice tight fit so nothing is moving around.

Also make sure to include a list of what bottles are what with some sort of cap marking or tape on label.

Awesome, I was worried I would be limited to 6 and was having a hard time figuring out which of my beers should make up the 4 non-999 offerings. Being able to fit 8 will allow for a bit more selection.

I have awesome people sending to me woot! :ban:

I'll have to make sure to pay it forward and send some good stuff to my recipients. If you all want anything specific from the Chicago area just PM me.

I've been holding on to three bottles of Victory Brewing Co. Old Horizontal that I picked up last year when I was sampling different barleywines to get a better feel for the style before joining the swap. They've been in the beer fridge ever since.

I brewed in October, so my beer won't be quite a full year old by 09-09-09. I figured this would meet the one year old barleywine requirement.

Hope my recipient's don't mind a commercial in the package as well. :D

you're sending 8? damn, can I get you? :D

I have awesome people sending to me woot! :ban:

I'll have to make sure to pay it forward and send some good stuff to my recipients. If you all want anything specific from the Chicago area just PM me.

I shouldn't mention this but I can't claim completely altruistic intentions in sending 8.:eek: It's in hopes of getting some unbiased feedback since everyone who has tried my beer so far (1) doesn't have the refined palates like members of this site and (2) might have said they liked it just to be nice.

I'm planning to ship late April as well. I'm going to include a couple of my Big Red Ryes in each and I'm planning to put some local brews in.

I was thinking it would be cool to put in a few from Rio Grande Brewing Co. since that was started by one of the members of this site (BrewPastor). I am torn between desert pils and outlaw lager. I may have to add one of the green chile cervezas as well. Good stuff!

This is an interesting read about the beginnings of Rio Grande Brewing Co.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f28/dont-try-home-parts-1-2-3-a-11411/

I shouldn't mention this but I can't claim completely altruistic intentions in sending 8.:eek: It's in hopes of getting some unbiased feedback since everyone who has tried my beer so far (1) doesn't have the refined palates like members of this site and (2) might have said they liked it just to be nice.

Well you don't have to worry about that here, if we don't like it we will tell you so. ;)

I am ready to ship, I just need addresses. Shipment will also include some Cranberry Apfelwein made with wild high bush cranberries that I picked. Its tart and dangerous.

Is that cool with everyone? Im going to send six out, could 1 include a regional brew? All I have to offer besides the barley wine are pales and ipa's, mabey a lesser hop head would enjoy a regional porter or stout.

That works for me. I'm not picky about how hoppy a beer should be. PA, IPA, Porter, Stout . . . . I like 'em all.

TL

Bring it on, King!

TL

Latest posts

Back