Queations about yeast, and varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I am about to start one of my first all grain brews, but to ferment them as all my cardboys have long aging cider in atm, Ive decided until I get some more, I will use my 1 gal glass demijohns, as I have around 11 of these.

Im just wondering what would be some good yeast strains to try, as I can split the same brew into a maximum of 5 batches, I would like to experiment with yeasts to find what I like the most!

Edit: Terrible typo in the title.

Ahh yes sorry.

Its a recipe for an old peculiar clone from GW's book.

Pale malt 5.64 kg
Crystal .295 kg
Choc mat .215 kg

Challenger 29g at 90
Fuggles 14g at 90

Goldings 14g at 10

Its a dark ale that hopefully will b quite bitter

You could try several english yeasts. Or vary the temps of 1 english yeast and see how the ester profiles differ by temp.

I'd go with dry yeasts where applicable so it's easy to measure them. My suggestions are: US-05 (Chico), S-04 (Whitbread Dry), T-58 (Belgian), WLP041 (Pacific Ale), and culture some PacMan or Bell's yeast. That should give you a broad range of tastes and flavors.

I like the one yeast varied ferment temps idea. That would be a neat experiment if you have the ability to vary the temp of five or six fermenters by a degree or two each.

Back