Fermentation stuck at 1.009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayiamyou

Reaction score
Brewer's Best from concentrate kit cider, two weeks in primary, intended FG is 1.004, it's been stuck at 1.009 for 4 days. Bottle it or wait?

This is a Cider House Select Apple Cider kit?

How long has it been in the fermentor?

What temperature has it fermented at?

My brother and I have done four of those kits so far - two apple, one pear, and one raspberry lime - and they have all hit the finish gravity perfectly. The last three were fermented at 65 degrees. The first was in my brother's garage over the winter where it varied from about 60 down to freezing.

I don't see any problem with your temperature.

Did you put the extra pound or two of corn sugar in the must?

Regardless if it is a kit or not, you are dealing with a living organism when using yeast. Even if it is designed to finish at a predetermined specific gravity, it is always a range based off attenuation rates, temperature, fermentables, etc. If your specific gravity does not change over several successive readings, that's where you've finished and that's about all you can expect with your final gravity. Your only alternative is to pitch a different yeast with a higher attenuation into your must and hope to restart fermentation. Probably the most important question to ask is what was your starting gravity? If your starting gravity is really high, your current abv might be inhibiting further fermentation.

A few more days won't hurt anything, wait three more days and test again. Has your fermenting temperature decreased in the last 4 or 5 days? You are past the danger zone, do you have someplace warmer to set your fermenter into?

Yeah, the basement temp dipped below 60 at some point.

I moved it upstairs three days ago and gravity appears to be falling gradually, approaching 1.007. I did bottle a few for camping this weekend, though.

is there some non-fermentable in this kit? Basically is there a reason why this is intended to stop at 1.004 and not go completely dry?

Back