Avocado and mango?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainbrewdude

Reaction score
So me and my buddy were talking about doing some experimental brewing, and avocado and mango got brought up. Anybody had any experience with either of these? I know the oils will be an issue, can we get around that? I'm thinking about using a blonde ale or mild ipa to get started. Any thoughts?

Avocado's pose several problems. First of all, as you mentioned the oil. I know that there is a powdered peanut butter that has the oil removed, perhaps there is something similar for avocados? Also, they are pretty bland on their own, you'd really have to get a decent amount of acid/citrus flavor (i.e. lemon or lime zest/juice) in there to compliment the flavor if it even comes thru at all.

Mango sounds like a good idea to me. I have some pinapple/mango habanero salsa that is excellent. Maybe a Mango/chili pepper beer would mimic this sweet/spicy combination (although the sweet part will be fermented out unless some drastic measures are performed (camden tablets to kill the yeast and then forced CO2 carb in a keg). I suppose one could just use lactose to get the sweet flavor back after everything has fermented out and a taste-test to see where things stand.

if you DO perform something like this, keep us posted! I'm totally into experimenting with odd reagents.. I mean ingredients.

I tried a little proof of concept for an avocado beer, by putting pureed avocado into a pint. I think the base beer was a wheat beer or a pale ale, something light and fairly mild.

I was able to get it to taste good and have some nice avocado character, but it took almost 1/2 avocado for the pint, which would be like 25 avocados for the batch. Obviously a little impractical, and that would kill the head retention.

I have done a mango wheat, it was delicious. Cut the mango into hunks and put it in a sanitized grain bag, placed that in the bottom of a corney, then racked the beer from primary into the keg. Much easier cleanup using a corney than trying to put hunks of mango in a carboy (a bucket fermenter would be fine as well). The mango will kick the fermentation up again so maure sure you've got a blow off hooked up if you use the corney method (just hook it to he gas side). As I recall, I used about 3 lbs of mango and it had a nice subtle mango flavor.

Avocado is a no-go, way too much fat, it will ruin the beer. If you use fruit skip the extract bull and use puree fruit, it will take some time to settle out and clear but the flavor and aroma is perfect. I made a chili pepper mango ale which went over really well at my home brew club meeting. Unfortunately It was only a 2.5 gallon batch and i wish i made more. :(

Ive done a mango pilsner, it was fantastic

All i did was puree some mango (roughly 3 pounds, really ripe) and then add to the primary once fermentation had settled down for a few days. It had a wicked mango flavour.

Ive read some things about avocado and here is what ive come up with
-the oils will kill head retention
-before use it should be pureed set in water to allow the oils to rise
-the oils should be pulled out to minimize the loss of head retention
-it benefits by adding wine makers pectic enzyme to the solution a day or so before adding to add some more sugar and increase the avocado flavour.
-should be added to secondary or primary once fermentation has really diped down.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Back