Storing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
Has anyone got a bottle storage system? I'd like to age the beer longer but with a third batch starting next week that will be 72 22 oz. bottles eventuallyand more coming. The cardboard boxes are starting to wear out plus are an eyesoar (I have them down the basement where my bar and pool table are and would like to incorporate something that would show them off and would be easily accessible - like a wine cellar.). Would like to keep a few bottles from each batch even longer to see the difference in aging, maybe crack them open at Christmas time or special occasions. I didn't know you couild keep them so long until I started reading some posts.

I know you don't want to hear it Dad, but if you're going to be storing 72 22oz bottles, you should really consider kegging. (Yeah, I know you don't want to get into doing that). Your other alternative is to store 24 or so of those bottles at my house, and I'll watch them age, I swear.

i have around 300 12 oz bottles upstairs carbing in the plastic foldable totes canadian tire and home depot sells(hold 35 bottles each).
another 200 or so bottles in the basement in the pantry.
i just stack the totes up to five high.
spent 2.5 hrs today sanitizing bottles and bottling my hop rod rye.
note to self - must seriously look into kegging! (or brewing less)

If you want to really store bottles for long term storage you need to think of them just like wine bottles. You want to store them in places with low amounts of light and a temp of around 50. Depending on how you store them you would be shocked at how long they will last. I just drank a 10 year old barley wine that was still fabulous about a week ago.

yes - my "pantry" is cement block - no windows- and holds about 40 degrees in the winter and mid 60's in the summer - not perfect but the best i can do.
my 2005 barleywine gets better each time i try it.

I cut out 4" x 4" aluminum foil squares when I bottle (after sanitizing and purging with CO2, I cap them with these awaiting the bottle fill).
Easy to make, and if you want to keep your bottle insides clean, this may be an option.
If you're extra paranoid, can do multiple wraps of a rubber band around the aluminum foil (get good rubber bands - cheap ones dry rot and are nasty)

joejaz said:
Has anyone got a bottle storage system? I'd like to age the beer longer but with a third batch starting next week that will be 72 22 oz. bottles eventuallyand more coming. The cardboard boxes are starting to wear out plus are an eyesoar (I have them down the basement where my bar and pool table are and would like to incorporate something that would show them off and would be easily accessible - like a wine cellar.). Would like to keep a few bottles from each batch even longer to see the difference in aging, maybe crack them open at Christmas time or special occasions. I didn't know you couild keep them so long until I started reading some posts.

I had the same issue with boxes getting worn out and tearing..
My solution was a trip to Target and a purchase of some plastic crates. They look like a milk crate, but they are a little longer and about as tall. (the crates can be stacked on top of each other without touching bottle tops)...
I think I get about 20 bottles into 1 crate.
I want to say I paid about 4.00 for it.

My wife bought a wooden crate from either Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics (it's like a craft crate) that holds about 18 bottles, but the wood is, well, its wood.

Brewer3401 said:
I cut out 4" x 4" aluminum foil squares when I bottle (after sanitizing and purging with CO2, I cap them with these awaiting the bottle fill).
Easy to make, and if you want to keep your bottle insides clean, this may be an option.
If you're extra paranoid, can do multiple wraps of a rubber band around the aluminum foil (get good rubber bands - cheap ones dry rot and are nasty)

Someone recently tipped me off on the Glad Wrap "press and seal"
Works AWESOME.
CLO70441.jpg

2456-cutestgirlEVER095.jpg

Fermentation Closet. 9 cases of brew, 5 gallon carboy full of Apfelwein, 1 gallon of Pomegranate Wine, 1 gallon of Apple/Pear wine. Also, a 1953 Hungarian made Mosin-Nagant M-44. Also, a fake Christmas Tree, some ornaments, and 2 boxes of SWMBO's horse statues.

2456-cutestgirlEVER093.jpg

Where I keep all my empties.

:mug:

greenhornet said:
Whats the deal? Mind sharing?

Not really anything to share, other then it being a great way to cover the uncapped bottle necks if you are worried about debris such as hair, dirt, flies, etc etc... The press and seal sticks to itself and anything much better then regular saran wrap.

Probably going to try the plastic crates. I looked at some wine racks on line,, but then you would have to store bottles on side which probably isn't a good idea.

Back