Forgot the oak chips...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenryals

Reaction score
Chianti is on the bubble now.. but I forgot to add the little bag of oak chips..

will this make a huge diference????? Hope i've not screwed up this recipe as it's my first go at wine...

When did you make this? You should be able to take the airlock off and just add them now. A few days shouldn't make too big a difference over the life of the wine.

Terje

it's been in for 1 week (primary)
I'll have to go to the LHBS to buy a bag... I have the chips but no bag to put them in...

It's bubbling pretty good, you think i'll be ok to remove the top for a bit without disturbing the wine too much?

yeah, if you've got good active fermentation, it should be no problem to pop it open and drop in the oak. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but one time is not going to kill your wine.

Terje

thanks... I'll have to get the jaws of life out this afternoon to take the lid off.. man that thing is on there good... lol

thanks again

Question -- not so much for myself, but to help the OP with the answers that this will hopefully produce:

Since sanitation is the king of all things wine-related, what will be the consequence(s) of introducing unsanitized oak chips at this point in the process, or should they be sanitizied first, and if so, how?

Sorry to interject so long after the advice was asked; hopefully answers will be timely to help you out, stevenryals. Good luck to you!

- Tim

Edit - oops - answered in another thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/sanitizing-question-103542/

put the chips in on Saturday.. and hopefully i've not messed anything up.. the wine isn't bubbling out of the airlock anymore.. but it's been in for over a week.. so.. hopefully that stage of fermentation had passed..

come on chianti!! make me proud :)

Back