re pitching bottled beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstyle69

Reaction score
so a couple years ago i brewed a partial mash, attempting to make a triple. i had to leave town and my apartment gets a bit cold, so i had my roommate watching the temp and keeping it warm with a belt warmer. long story short, he cooked it up to 120. i attmpeted to ferment and got a bit of activity, but not enough. i bottled all of it with the idea that id just mess with it later.

today is later.

any suggestions. the current gravity is 1.02 or real close to that. smells really nice, but sweeter then i remember. the yest i used was a belg. abby. I think that the over heating of the yest gave off a really strong booze flavor.

i guess im just looking for tips or pointers. should i had more sugar since alot of the sweetness is from the unfermentable sugars in this batch. belgian candy.

oh well. i attempted to dump in to a growler and pitch with the yest that i had, but the yest didnt want to wake up, bad yest im guessing. my rubber stopper also wanted to keep popping out. i really hate those damn things. getting some blow off caps this weekend, for round 2 of fixing old bad beer.

By "dump into a growler" do you mean you actually poured it in, so it splashed around in the growler? If so, you'll be sipping wet cardboard flavored brew. Your chance of oxidizing the batch is so high it's virtually a guarantee.

IMO, it's far too late to do anything with it. You could attempt to mix it with another beer. You're only real chance is to slowly, very very carefully, pour it into a bucket and try something there. Even then, you have a high risk of oxidizing the batch.

Realistically, the time to do something with it was before you bottled it.

Yeah, the stuff you tried to referment probably isn't that good anymore. For what its worth, 1.02 isn't awful, although out of style for a triple. With the high temps I'm not surprised you're tasting some burn, although I would have thought in that amount of time that they would have aged away. If they're still bad, though, there's probably not a lot you can do about it. If you've still got some unopened beers sitting around, you could always use them for cooking if the alcohol bite is too much to handle. I'm not sure that the fusel alcohols would boil off necessarily, but I could imagine quite a few tasty triple recipes.

Latest posts

Back