Windows 10 - Finally some sanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a laptop with XP on it. I use it for one particular function (torrents). I scrubbed it a year ago, reset to factory installation, and don't use it except for that one function. I like the idea of using old laptops for single functions like that.

I'm working on Win7 now. It's money money money.

And still wants to push the Windows as a subscription based experience. I read that is what pushed OneDrive into the market. Get their files first, the push the OSLive.
They've started offering a subscription-based version of Office now. $99/yr, and you get access to all of the office products and free upgrades. Plus can install on one desktop and one tablet. (The next price level up allows 5 desktops and 5 tablets)

I've got a laptop with XP on it. I use it for one particular function ... I like the idea of using old laptops for single functions like that.

+1 -- Like logging my ferm chamber :D

They've started offering a subscription-based version of Office now

Just you wait, Henry Higgins, just you wait! The OS will be SAS before you can say "I think I Just felt a walletectomy".

They've started offering a subscription-based version of Office now. $99/yr, and you get access to all of the office products and free upgrades. Plus can install on one desktop and one tablet. (The next price level up allows 5 desktops and 5 tablets)

Ayup. Office 365. Knew about that. Have read they intend to do it with OS too.

Microsoft is interesting...most of the time they make a bunch of stuff that's just OK but Windows 2000 (not ME)/XP/Server 2003 were awesome. Server 2003 in particular was light if you trimmed it down and fast as well. Then came Windows 7 and that was a real winner. I tried Windows 8 and it took me 10 minutes to decide it was utter garbage, just like Vista and Windows ME.

However since WINE under Linux runs all the Windows stuff with a bit of tinkering, I switched last year and haven't looked back. I've been playing with Linux on and off for 10 years and I can say it's come a really long way since. Currently running a Ubuntu variant but might switch to Arch at some point this year.

However since WINE under Linux runs all the Windows stuff with a bit of tinkering, I switched last year and haven't looked back. I've been playing with Linux on and off for 10 years and I can say it's come a really long way since. Currently running a Ubuntu variant but might switch to Arch at some point this year.

I have to wonder if Lightroom would work under WINE. :) That and one other piece of photo editing software are most of what I need Windows for. :)

Windows 10, Windows 10, Windows, well, you get the point. With the exception of some of the HP Security Ware that Win 10 didn't like (that I won't miss anyway), everything else on my system is 100% happy. I added a SSD a couple of weeks ago, cycled the battery and my battery meter calculated 6 hours and 18 minutes. The 8460p battery when new (5 or so years ago) was rated at 6 hours and 30 minutes (the 6 cell version battery I currently have). Windows 10 calculated 8 hours and 20 minutes, after the install was finished. Point A to point B, I can't tell how much faster it actually runs as of right now, but with 8 GB of RAM, an i5 processor, and a Solid State Hard Drive, I'm not sure how much more Windows 10 can add if any. I keep you posted.

Where I'll agree with you, however, is on the general malware/spyware/virus front. Most malware/spyware requires a user to actually install it or run it, usually due to their own poor security practices. Linux isn't targeted by most of these folks because so few people use Linux and generally the users of Linux are more tech-savvy about protecting themselves from these sorts of threats.

Also, you have to MANUALLY install stuff in Linux as it will ask for your password, even if you're an Admin user. If you're just "Joe User" without Admin privileges, you can't install anything, unlike Mickeysoft where EVERYONE is an Admin by default

Also, you have to MANUALLY install stuff in Linux as it will ask for your password, even if you're an Admin user. If you're just "Joe User" without Admin privileges, you can't install anything, unlike Mickeysoft where EVERYONE is an Admin by default

Not exactly true. Some Linux distros don't care if you log in as root and fck it up! Others have the security feature enabled, but you can turn it off if you think you know how to operate a computer.

Windows 7 went a ways into protecting the system, but it's not as straight forward as Linux in it's approach. They try to keep the average person safe, and make admins frustrated. It's possible to get around that as well if you care to. Not sure about Win8, as I basically completely ignored that one. I've talked all the people I know into spending $5 on a Windows 7/XP interface for it (Start8, if you are curious.) More or less makes Windows 8 fell just like Windows 7.

I'm looking forward to Windows 10. Mostly because I've only heard good things about it. I haven't actually seen it yet. I should dig up a HDD and give it a shot.

Not exactly true. Some Linux distros don't care if you log in as root and fck it up! Others have the security feature enabled, but you can turn it off if you think you know how to operate a computer.

Good point. I was thinking of the RedHat derivatives and *buntu. MOST Linux versions I've seen discourage you from logging in as root/admin. But yes, there's nothing to stop you from doing that. I think there was one I tried that just would NOT let you log in as root. :)

here's me trying to install Windows 10

update-pic-5.jpg

and then

update pic 6.JPG

Looks like something happened.

Did you try turning off and on again? :D

I had the wrong impression the PC needed the little Windows 10 app icon in the system tray to start installation, so I was fixated on that

I eventually got to a spot where I could download the installation package and was able to continue from there.

I installed it on an older laptop, which sits down in the basement. I don't normally use it, unless I'm waiting for the dog to come back inside, grilling or brewing, so I haven't dug into it very deeply.

so far I'm not too impressed, it's not very different from what I'm used to in Win7, but I'll withhold judgment until I dook around with it some more

hate the Internet Explorer replacement, Microsoft Edge

I like having my bookmarks underneath the address bar, 2 of my links are from the top of HBT "My Replies" and "Today's Posts"

bookmarks in Edge are hidden away in a side bar and the 2 links I've made of those HBT links BOTH take me to this page:

laptop.JPG

I have yet to install because of taskbar icon fixation. clicked the window last night and was greeted with an "It's coming, please wait" message. Assumed they are staging downloads to reduce traffic.

Have since heard that the update can be forced via Windows Update.

I need to move applications off of my SSD to make room. A drudgery I am not looking forward to. When I got the SSD I opted to just clone the OS from the original HDD.

I miss the days of being able to move a directory and repair the OS. Now you have to uninstall, redownload, and reinstall to change the directory to something other than default without breaking the OS.

Unless I am mistaken.

Wife's Dell i5 was one of the initially targeted machines for taskbar installation - got notification last night at 9pm - Started the install and 2 hours later had a fully functional Winderz 10

I LIKE IT - best of 7 and 8

my 2 cents worth

Just put it on my Surface Pro 2, will comment at some point. I haven't seen anything to separate it from 8. New Browser is way better but I'll stick with Chrome. I find the new taskbar to be a bit of an eyesore. I mean the search inclusion is fine, but why does it need to be so big? Why can't it be small and grow when you click on it?

I had this problem too. Turns out it was because my language settings were set to English (Canada). Once I switched them to English (United States), the installation went off without a hitch. I plan on doing a clean install after the weekend.

To change language settings:
Control Panel > Region & Language > Administrative > Change system locale

Just put it on my Surface Pro 2, will comment at some point. I haven't seen anything to separate it from 8. New Browser is way better but I'll stick with Chrome. I find the new taskbar to be a bit of an eyesore. I mean the search inclusion is fine, but why does it need to be so big? Why can't it be small and grow when you click on it?

Taskbar Autohide has been a bug for some users since WinXp.

IIUC, the option is there in Win10 but is bugged for some.

I had the wrong impression the PC needed the little Windows 10 app icon in the system tray to start installation, so I was fixated on that

I eventually got to a spot where I could download the installation package and was able to continue from there.

I installed it on an older laptop, which sits down in the basement. I don't normally use it, unless I'm waiting for the dog to come back inside, grilling or brewing, so I haven't dug into it very deeply.

so far I'm not too impressed, it's not very different from what I'm used to in Win7, but I'll withhold judgment until I dook around with it some more

hate the Internet Explorer replacement, Microsoft Edge

I like having my bookmarks underneath the address bar, 2 of my links are from the top of HBT "My Replies" and "Today's Posts"

bookmarks in Edge are hidden away in a side bar and the 2 links I've made of those HBT links BOTH take me to this page:

View attachment 293255

You can re-enable the favorites toolbar in Edge under settings.

Attachments

• toolbar.jpg
    toolbar.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 117
Taskbar Autohide has been a bug for some users since WinXp.

IIUC, the option is there in Win10 but is bugged for some.

I don't really want it hidden. I want it to look like Windows 8.

\instead of having a third of the taskbar taken up by search the web and windows, I'd rather have the icons for my programs I want tand then all the way to the right by the quick access thing or whatever it's called now. have a magnifying glass that when you mouse over it, it expands.

I don't really want it hidden. I want it to look like Windows 8.

\instead of having a third of the taskbar taken up by search the web and windows, I'd rather have the icons for my programs I want tand then all the way to the right by the quick access thing or whatever it's called now. have a magnifying glass that when you mouse over it, it expands.

Ahh. I understand.

Rub some bacon on it!

I have also read that the taskbar and start menu are resizable as well as undockable in Win10. Maybe play with it a while. Just don't let the kids watch. I remember having to dig to find options for the taskbar in Win7. I am sure there are options in Win10.

Ahh. I understand.

Rub some bacon on it!

I have also read that the taskbar and start menu are resizable as well as undockable in Win10. Maybe play with it a while. Just don't let the kids watch. I remember having to dig to find options for the taskbar in Win7. I am sure there are options in Win10.

I figured out how to minimize it to an icon. But moving it to where I want it doesn't seem to be an option. I'm debating on removing it because I have a search button on my keyboard.

must have overlooked that one.

MUCH better now, thanks!

:mug:

This is what us nerds are for. I'm home with the parents for a week and aside from setting them up with new computers, I also had to run a full VR on my dads comp because he downloaded his AV from a suspect source (and probably was doing other things he shouldn't have been doing online)

Heh heh. I see what you did there...

Only hardcore geeks compile their own kernels. I've been using Linux for years, and have yet to compile a kernel.

Brew on :mug:

I know that guy. He's not THAT hardcore, but he's been using Linux since almost it was brand new. He's still into Slackware and compiling his kernels.

It's just a bit beyond my understanding. I can build a simple server easily enough in a non-gui installation, and can do some relatively simple things, but when it comes to getting all the pieces to work together PROPERLY and SECURELY, there aren't too many How-To's that explain how things work.

They do make several flavors that are easy enough for the average user to install and use, though. Unless there is a problem they tend to run pretty well.

I guess it's time for companies to start throwing their "We don't support Windows 10 yet!" comments out to the clients. Hopefully this is more of an upgrade to Windows 7/8 than a new architecture. I'm hoping it will come down to mostly testing to ensure compatibility rather than having to rebuild their software.

Go to Microsoft.com. They have the information.

But don't use Internet Explorer 10. It doesn't work right on IE 10.

I had to use Firefox to get it to render the page properly...

One of the recent updates should give you an upgrade app that resides in your tray. You can also download USB or DVD installation files and a utility to write to those devices to make a bootable install media.

I'm not clear on the Reg Code thing yet. I haven't found the sign up link yet.

Go to Microsoft.com. They have the information.

But don't use Internet Explorer 10. It doesn't work right on IE 10.

I had to use Firefox to get it to render the page properly...

One of the recent updates should give you an upgrade app that resides in your tray. You can also download USB or DVD installation files and a utility to write to those devices to make a bootable install media.

I'm not clear on the Reg Code thing yet. I haven't found the sign up link yet.

NOTHING works properly on IE10.

NOTHING works properly on IE10.

That's true. I haven't used IE since forever, unless some company requires it for their portal to function properly. Lately they are starting to recommend Chrome or FF, though!

I was unable to get the APP to show up, even though I check their requirements and my OEM Dell PC is fully licensed and updated. I checked their required updates specifically.

And now I read that you DON'T have to reserve if you just use the media creation tool I mentioned previously. As long as you have a valid reg code for Win7 you can use that tool to create install media and upgrade.

So I should be all set and don't' have to wait.

That's true. I haven't used IE since forever, unless some company requires it for their portal to function properly. Lately they are starting to recommend Chrome or FF, though!

I was unable to get the APP to show up, even though I check their requirements and my OEM Dell PC is fully licensed and updated. I checked their required updates specifically.

And now I read that you DON'T have to reserve if you just use the media creation tool I mentioned previously. As long as you have a valid reg code for Win7 you can use that tool to create install media and upgrade.

So I should be all set and don't' have to wait.

I'm screwed. The Win8.1 I have was a pre-load. checked for updates and 10 didn't list. Didn't feel like messing with registry to force. It's okay I can wait. I reserved the day the notice showed up.

Dinked with clearing up space on the SSD for a while and then went and played Witcher3.

I'm screwed. The Win8.1 I have was a pre-load. checked for updates and 10 didn't list. Didn't feel like messing with registry to force. It's okay I can wait. I reserved the day the notice showed up.

Dinked with clearing up space on the SSD for a while and then went and played Witcher3.

You can still download the files and the media creator to make an install disk. I'm not sure a domain PC is upgradable at this point, but anything else should be as long as you have a valid licensed install now.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

You can still download the files and the media creator to make an install disk. I'm not sure a domain PC is upgradable at this point, but anything else should be as long as you have a valid licensed install now.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Will give it a try when I get home. Still working on moving a few more apps. Couldn't find where I left my keys. :eek: That is another irritation. Once a software is licensed and activated the keys should be listed in the info/about tabs. Period!

I got Office 2013 Pro Plus through Home Use Program and took me forever to track down links to find the key.

Magic Jellybean Keyfinder does a decent job on some MS products. Not sure about the newest OS and Office but I've used it for years to get the ORIGINAL keys from machines when re-installing. Since then I've kept software discs and license codes in a binder so I can match the Service code for a machine to it's License codes.

UPDATE: I tried installing from a reboot so I can completely wipe the Windows 7 install, and it won't take my code from the sticker on my Dell for Windows 7 Ultimate. I know this is a valid installation so I'm trying the UPGRADE process now. I'll be irked if they won't let us do a clean install without an actual Windows 10 code.

Back