Taste after 5 days of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20793

Reaction score
I have a red ale and a pale ale that were bubbling along fine for 4 days and then on the 5th it stopped. I know I'm being really impatient, but I was just curious to see how close it was to being done with fermentation, so I took a gravity reading. Tasted both samples after the reading. They tasted...smeh.. not really like beer. I could taste the malt in the red ale and definitely the hops in the pale ale, but I kinda expected it to taste more like the final product. I didn't taste cardboard or soap. Did I just taste test too early?

By the way, both beers were in their FG range.

Yea, about 4-5 weeks early. Patience my friend, you'll be rewarded.

Welcome to the hobby!

Cheers!

Early is an understatement! You still got like another week or two in primary to go yet, then a few more weeks in bottles. I know it's hard to wait I have a Porter I did like 2 months ago that I am having a hard time waiting for. Patience....you can help that by brewing in another week or so it will help you take your mind off the ones you have going now.

If this hobby has taught me anything it is the virtue of patience. Let the miracle of yeast do its work, sit back and RDWHAHB or RDWHAMB

Back