help me decide how to get into kegging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
Someone help me in the field of kegging. I am saving up the money to buy a kegerator and would like to know what I need to keg. How hard is it, and what kind of kegerator should I buy? I am not really good with building things so something pre built would be a plus.

How much would I be looking at spending to get everything I need. I want a kegerator to hold 2-3 cornys and at times be able to use it for a ferment room if possible. I don't know if thats possible with all of the lines and everything. Can I take a full keg out for a couple weeks and let it sit at room temp while I ferment?

taking out a full keg while you ferment is fine. It may take a day in the fridge to cool down. And in a mini fridge you should be only able to get 2 kegs in at a time, they are just small. If you went with a full size fridge or keezer that number increases a bit.

I'm not sure on pricing on building a kederator, but with my mini fridge I've spent 200 so far on kegs/CO2, got a free fridge and have about another 200 to spend on the faucets and tower before I'm done. You can buy ore-built kederators from kegconnection.com but really they are not that hard to build and there are tons of how tos on the forums.

Price can vary quite a lot depending on what you deem appropriate for your needs. I spent a fair amount on a small fridge, and can only fit 2 kegs and gas in there, but it has a freezer inside for ice, ice cream, popsicles, etc. Plus, I can get those kegs in there and still have the full door with shelves for bottles beer/pop and a drawer in bottom for brewing stuff.

A full-sized fridge would likely get you 3 or 4 kegs, plus the other stuff. A keezer should do anywhere from 4 to 10 kegs, but not so good for storing other stuff.

I'd guess anywhere from $250 on up, for stuff, of course depending on where you get kegs, regulator, gas bottle, etc. Can easily cost $500 or more if you buy a fridge and everything. If you want to save money, look in want ads and do Craigslist or ebay for local deals. Some people practically give away old fridges.

You don't need a kegerator to get into kegging. A used refridgerator $0-$100 plus your extra keg(s) $15-$35 each,

system W/ picnic tap $79 This includes:
Dual Guage Regulator
Used 5 gallon Keg
Six (6) feet of Thick Wall Gas Line
Picnic Tap and Dispensing Hose
Barbed Gas and Beer disconnects
Full Set of Instructions
http://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-Kegging-System_p_24-69.html

5 lb CO2 tank $65 or 10 lb tank $75 or 15-20 lb tank $90

So by budgeting carefully, looking for a free fridge you could get all the equipment for $144 + shipping cost

I just use an old refridgerator open the door and pour myself a mug with the picnic tap, I'll be the first to admit it's not showy but it works great I keep it full of bottled beer and soft drinks too. This keeps the thermal ballast high so that opening the door I don't lose much of the cool I've stored. And with no permanately attached hoses or faucets it's easy to switch to a lagerator/ferment room. Plus I have the freezer on top to keep frosty mugs, store hops and grain ect.

Like I say it's not SHOWY but it's very practical. Also on the practical side according to this months Consumer Report many small dorm type refridgerators use as much electricty as a normal size fridge.

I may attach faucets to one side of the fridge one day but I've got too many projects going right now & it's not very high on my priority list

I'm in the acquistion mode for my kegging stuff now. So far:

$50- Craigslist 5.2 cf chest freezer (will fit 3 total kegs, probably only two taps plus one conditioning).
$70- temperature controller
$175- 2 keg basic kegging kit from Keg Connection (less C02 tank) w/ picnic taps

Got a CO2 tank from my FIL- free, my favorite flavor

I'm figuring probably $25 for lumber and hardware to build the collar for the perlick taps, plus another $100 or so for the forward sealing faucets and liquid lines.

Yes it'll work for a kegerator.

Whether or not you'll need a temp. controller and if it'll work or not for fementation depends on a number of factors.

But yes more than likely you probably will need a temp controller for fermentation

1 what's the highest temp inside the fridge with the refridgerator control set to the hottest level? Ale needs around 68*F so you probably will need one for Ale
remember that if the refrigerator section is turned off by the controller the freezer section is too.

2 What will you be fermenting? lager needs to age at 32-35*F so will the refridgerator get that cold? some will, some won't. That's the reason many people use freezers for Lagerators is because many refridgerator sections can't get that cold. Mine can but many other people have said theirs can't.

When you go to look at it be sure and have the seller plug it in before you leave to go see it so that it has plenty of time to get cold before you arrive. If it's not good and cold don't buy it !

Or better yet have the guy put a thermometer inside the fridge, set it to the coldest setting and let it run over night before you go to see it

Back