Pitching Large Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootney

Reaction score
I'm planning on starting a new brew that requires a 2L starter with two packs of wy per pitching calculator. I've read some great articles on mrmalty and maltosefalcon regarding yeast starters. They made mention of not pitching large starters all at once but offered no suggestion on what would be the appropriate way to add "large starters." Any suggestions?

if you have time, chill your starter to settle out the yeast. then decant off as much of the starter beer as possible, swirl up the yeast with the little bit of remaining starter beer and pitch. i don't know that I've ever heard of not pitching it all at once... 2L isn't all that big either, so you should be fine.

Totally depends on the beer... a big ol' robust porter is going to cover up anything bad you'd get from pitching a full 2L starter, wort and all. Make the starter a couple days ahead of your brew and stick it in the fridge for 24-36 hours prior to pitching. This will settle the majority of the yeast you grew in the starter and allow you to decant most of the extra starter wort.

Latest posts

Back