NEW: worlds strongest beer @ 65% abv from scotland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrawbag

Reaction score
The world's strongest beer!

Despite being 65%, this beer has lots of flavour. It's slightly sweet, hoppy, malty and retains much of the yeast present during fermentation.

Bottles are conditioned but we recommend people drink this in 35ml measures. So drink with friends to save it going flat.

http://www.brewmeister.co.uk/#/our-beers/4560528593

:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Ugh, why not just drink some cognac or brandy instead

This reminds me a lot of the Punisher cigar; for those who don't know, the cigar hobby has fads like every hobby. Right now, large cigars with tons of body/nicotine are the "in" thing, so someone came up with the Punisher - the strongest bodied cigar available; it burns your lips even when it's unlit. The thing was made into a powerhouse just for bragging rights, and the occasional idiot who thinks more body = better (ie - hurr durr, Imma man cuz i smoke big cigarz)

So like I said - this beer seems like a gimmick.

What the F*C! is it with the Scottish and these freeze concentrated beers!? I wonder how long it will take BrewDog to try and top them...honestly, I'm unimpressed b/c these bottles aren't even wrapped in a dead animal skin...

I see it more as a sport. Ultra high ABV beers is to everyday microbrew sales as drag racing is to retail sports car sales. I think it is cool they do it, I wouldn't go out of my way to spend a ton of dough to try one though.

This sounds fake but it wouldn't surprise me someone crafted another ulta high gravity "beer". And how would there be any yeast left in solution after such a lengthy and intense icing, let alone 'much of the yeast'.

My GF was recently in Northern Ireland for a year, and apparently it was easier to get a hold of Brew Dog there.
She shared a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin with a classmate (she was in a master's program at Queen's) as a goodbye present.
His comment on the beer was that it was tasty like honey: one spoonful is delicious, the second is OK, and by the third you've had enough.
I have no doubt that they finished the bottle, though. :drunk:

I tried some of the "world's strongest beer" according to the Guinness book of world records. Didn't seem so special to me, So I cranked up "old Nellie" to see if I could beat it. Unfortunately, it came in at 94.5% ABV and 189 proof. I could barely taste the hops in it and I had to dilute it with orange juice just to drink it. It burned pretty good going down the old pallet but when it hit the stomach, it felt like an atomic bomb going off. I had to bring in my sculpture into the living room and hook it up with electric instead of propane due to the rocket fuel being made. the flash point is incredibly low. My wife is still angry because I had to come up with 50 AMP circuit breakers for the two 5500 water heater heating elements and there went the Stove in the Kitchen and her Dryer next to the washing machine. The stuff is really not very tasty but I am able to start my motorcycle with it on a cold morning. Thank God there are not many cold mornings in Arizona as what a terrible waste of good beer. Cheers.

GetAttachment (13).jpg

DSC00307.jpg

GetAttachment (14).jpg

What is wrong with those guys - the amount of brand-wank on their beers is just awful! Just makes me think the company is run by a group of marketers and not brewers - I know first a formost a brewery is a bussiness and all but these guys seem to be just targeting the same guys that xmacro talked about with cigars, they are into the fad more than likeling good beer - the type that would look down their nose at an ESB or English Mild :D

you don't.
Bottles are conditioned is different than bottle conditioned

BUt their statement inferes that they are bottle conditioned - and their website says that their beers are naturally carbonated.

Ugh, why not just drink some cognac or brandy instead

This reminds me a lot of the Punisher cigar; for those who don't know, the cigar hobby has fads like every hobby. Right now, large cigars with tons of body/nicotine are the "in" thing, so someone came up with the Punisher - the strongest bodied cigar available; it burns your lips even when it's unlit. The thing was made into a powerhouse just for bragging rights, and the occasional idiot who thinks more body = better (ie - hurr durr, Imma man cuz i smoke big cigarz)

So like I said - this beer seems like a gimmick.

Big +1. Novelty nonsense for sure.

Kinda off topic but at a buddy's house today watching football this guy talkin about his beer said I always look at Abv on the bottle if its high it means its a good beer

I think its an Irish thing. I have an Irish buddy who thinks that way. I got him interested in brewing his own beer. I took him to the lhbs to pick out his first beer kit, and then he picked through all the recipe kits to find the one with the highest ABV potential. He is exactly the kind of guy who would order one of these freeze dried beers.

I posted this on one of the other threads about this beer, but this line on their "About Us" page always makes me laugh:

"There are no chemicals in our beer - none at all!"

Truly impressive, Brewmeister...

I posted this on one of the other threads about this beer, but this line on their "About Us" page always makes me laugh:

"There are no chemicals in our beer - none at all!"

Truly impressive, Brewmeister...

I have heard another big brewery making the claim that they only use the pure ingredients for their beer and that they do not add any additives to the beer... the loophole was that they added it to the brewing water so technically they didn't add it to the beer :confused::cross:

I have heard another big brewery making the claim that they only use the pure ingredients for their beer and that they do not add any additives to the beer... the loophole was that they added it to the brewing water so technically they didn't add it to the beer :confused::cross:

My amusement is a little more basic than that. There are loads of chemicals in beer which aren't "additives", and those chemicals make the beer what it is. I'm pretty sure the last time I opened up a general chemistry text book, everything in the beer we make is discussed at length - water, ethanol, esters, phenols, acids, and the list goes on.

I'm a chemist, so maybe I'm sensitive to the statement "There are no chemicals in our beer - none at all!" being ultimately ridiculous. But the tagline for their brewery website says that they are "Beer Scientists", so I feel like its a fair point. Also, perpetuating to the general public that the word "chemicals" should be associated with evil toxic things that should never be associated with a consumable like beer allows people like the "Food Babe" to print nonsense scare pieces that are ultimately baseless.

But back to the main point of the thread - I'm fairly certain this beer taste utterly horrible, regardless...

My amusement is a little more basic than that. There are loads of chemicals in beer which aren't "additives", and those chemicals make the beer what it is. I'm pretty sure the last time I opened up a general chemistry text book, everything in the beer we make is discussed at length - water, ethanol, esters, phenols, acids, and the list goes on.

I'm a chemist, so maybe I'm sensitive to the statement "There are no chemicals in our beer - none at all!" being ultimately ridiculous. But the tagline for their brewery website says that they are "Beer Scientists", so I feel like its a fair point. Also, perpetuating to the general public that the word "chemicals" should be associated with evil toxic things that should never be associated with a consumable like beer allows people like the "Food Babe" to print nonsense scare pieces that are ultimately baseless.

But back to the main point of the thread - I'm fairly certain this beer taste utterly horrible, regardless...

Agree, again just marketing spin that means nothing. Even if they meant "nasty" chemicals how the hell are they making sure the beer does not get infected - QA must surely suffer :D
The marketing guys say it taste just like beer... I'm sure they wouldn't lie to us :cross:

Back