Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I got 100% disabled and confined to a wheel chair I have a service dog named Dixie. She is trained to tune in on my breathing and if I am struggling with low blood pressure. Don't ask me how she knows, but she has saved my life twice already. The first time by BP was 54/33 and that called for a quick ambulance ride to the hospital, the second time I was getting locked up and could not breath. She is amazing and also has adopted my wife and watches over her too. My son just moved back from Texas and she is very friendly with him and goes to him for attention frequently too. So our house is good because she is also a great door bell and warning dog too.

Wheelchair Bob

That's awesome. My wife is a brittle diabetic and doesn't feel her highs or lows very much anymore. A while after we got KB, she noticed him acting strange around her now and then. He would follow her around and try to herd her back to her seat now and then. She finally figured out that he was sensing her blood sugar. He's just taken it upon himself to become her service dog. He's woke us up in the middle of the night for it several times.

We thought about making him into a full-time service dog, but he's also been really outgoing and friendly with people and we would have had to make him stop that and ignore people if he as going to go into businesses with us and we decided we just didn't want to do that to him. He loves people too much for us to make him be less social. So, he signals her when we're at home at least.

Our black mouth cur Tallie. She is the owner of my wife and I. Haha ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413034183.016190.jpg

That's awesome. My wife is a brittle diabetic and doesn't feel her highs or lows very much anymore. A while after we got KB, she noticed him acting strange around her now and then. He would follow her around and try to herd her back to her seat now and then. She finally figured out that he was sensing her blood sugar. He's just taken it upon himself to become her service dog. He's woke us up in the middle of the night for it several times.

We thought about making him into a full-time service dog, but he's also been really outgoing and friendly with people and we would have had to make him stop that and ignore people if he as going to go into businesses with us and we decided we just didn't want to do that to him. He loves people too much for us to make him be less social. So, he signals her when we're at home at least.
Few years back, a buddy of mine was feeling kind of run down, and just thought it was the stress of his job. Got home one night and sat down in his chair to relax. The family dog, Jake, came over, put his paws up on his shoulders and stood there face-to-face with him. When his daughter came over, Jake turned and 'herded' her away. Did the same with his wife - wouldn't let any of the family get close to him, and kept it up through the night. He went to the doctor the next day and found out he had pneumonia. Jake was able to smell something on his breath, and was trying to protect the rest of the family from it.

Amazing animals they are.

Dogs rule!

And sometimes they can even fly. My little terrier girl spends most of her time airborne when she's chasing our terrier boy. That is, when she's not trying to give him an ass whooping. She's definitely the boss.

Photo%25252020141011213901.jpg

Anyone here have boots for their dogs? The nevada sun in the summer can really limit my girls walking anything with rock, sand, pavement, concrete, the earth in general. Are the easy to get them used to them? Do they stay on?

My dog loves pistachios. He cracks them carefully and eats only the meats. Haven't seen him want to eat any other tree nuts or peanuts yet.
Other nuts, well.. I'll just say he didn't get too far.

Judging by my dog's reaction to shirts, he would let me put boots on, but wouldn't go anywhere.
I've had a passing thought about them, because the fool will not walk on wet grass, even to pee.

Anyone here have boots for their dogs? The nevada sun in the summer can really limit my girls walking anything with rock, sand, pavement, concrete, the earth in general. Are the easy to get them used to them? Do they stay on?

I've never put shoes on my dog, but I've had to bandage his foot now and then. He has a habit of breaking claws now and then when he goes racing around the yard. We used the self-sticking bandages and he eventually gets used to having it on his foot and walks normally, but always finds a way to get it off after a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Tender Foot cream. Paws can still be sensitive, but my dogs will NOT do boots. They'll eat them off.

We have some Ruffwear boot for our dog. He's not a huge fan but will tolerate them for a time. His biggest issue is that they "buckle" right at his dewclaws and it gets irritated.

Musher's wax works much better for us for snow and salt. I don't know if it would help with heat though.

Apparently anything I can tie, the dog can shred in under 10 minutes.

EDIT: I think the plan going forward is going to be buying a 50' rope, cutting one foot off of it every day and making a string of knots for him to chew through.

Apparently anything I can tie, the dog can shred in under 10 minutes.

EDIT: I think the plan going forward is going to be buying a 50' rope, cutting one foot off of it every day and making a string of knots for him to chew through.

We have the same issue with KB. He thinks the point of a toy is to see how many pieces it can become in as sort a time as possible. We bought him one that was supposed to be indestructible. It was made for fire hose. He split it in half in under a minute. Same with the one that was cut from a truck tire.

We have the same issue with KB. He thinks the point of a toy is to see how many pieces it can become in as sort a time as possible. We bought him one that was supposed to be indestructible. It was made for fire hose. He split it in half in under a minute. Same with the one that was cut from a truck tire.

Plastic seems to be easier for him to rip through. He can get that point of leverage on it and starts biting bits of it off.

I suppose what gets me is not his ability to gnaw through rope. It's his ability to untie knots too.

Last winter was the 3rd coldest in history here in Chicago. I got some boots because the cold sidewalk would burn her paws. I don't think I ever got all 4 on her at the same time. It turned into a pre walk production where the dog would win, and the walk was not necessary because we were both tired out. She still runs around with them in her mouth though.

September and October were busy beer related months, so Nola Brown was just happy to get a night sitting on the chaise with my wife. "Mommy don't leave me no more."

1888991_939579752725955_6776077668753994177_o.jpg

^ Usually when I get that look, it's the, "So hey, while you were out of the room, a bunch of trash decided to fly out of the can and land all over the kitchen floor...it was the weirdest thing" Look.

My folks bought this for him before I could tell them that plastics toys hold up the least well.

Bonezilla before pic. Literally 2 minutes until the first piece was ripped off.

image.jpg

Biggest piece after 15 minutes.

I think my mom is right and he's a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. Which means his instinct is to hunt and large game animals and he has the jaws for eating them too.

image.jpg

the Howdy's bed is usually next to the laundry basket (top of pic), but this time, he decided to pull it out into the middle of the bedroom and nap there

20141024_124332.jpg

I'm figuring by the time I get home he will own my side of the bed and I'll be on the couch (lol)!

Tesla killed another of my daughter's stuffed animals. So his new Goughnuts Maxx 50 donut is in the mail. Should be here Thursday. If it survives more than 20 minutes it will be longer than his last two toys combined.

Tesla killed another of my daughter's stuffed animals. So his new Goughnuts Maxx 50 donut is in the mail. Should be here Thursday. If it survives more than 20 minutes it will be longer than his last two toys combined.

Man those toys are all a crock of ****. I paid $20 for the Kong "Tiger Tested" Tuff ring because she trashed everything else. Untied rope toys, shredding anything stuffed including a quilt, and anything rubber based that she could find a weak spot, and if there was a weak spot, she found it. The kong had reinforced stitching that was covered by durable canvas. Entire toy was made of canvas, etc. Total bull****. My Golden Retriever took that thing apart at 6 months old in 24 hours. Either that tiger is a huge ***** or my Golden is a super hero.
:off:

Man those toys are all a crock of ****. I paid $20 for the Kong "Tiger Tested" Tuff ring because she trashed everything else. Untied rope toys, shredding anything stuffed including a quilt, and anything rubber based that she could find a weak spot, and if there was a weak spot, she found it. The kong had reinforced stitching that was covered by durable canvas. Entire toy was made of canvas, etc. Total bull****. My Golden Retriever took that thing apart at 6 months old in 24 hours. Either that tiger is a huge ***** or my Golden is a super hero.
:off:

The Goughnuts is supposed to be "guaranteed or your money back or they replace it for free." We shall see.

In the meantime I cut him 18 inches of rope every day, tie it into three knots, and let him destroy it.

The Goughnuts is supposed to be "guaranteed or your money back or they replace it for free." We shall see.

In the meantime I cut him 18 inches of rope every day, tie it into three knots, and let him destroy it.

Kong said the same ****. Keep the receipt.

Back