StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distilled

Reaction score
I mixed up a couple of gallons of StarSan, does anyone know if there is a problem with just keeping it for use or does it.....well, go bad, for a lack of another term.

I keep mine in a corny, you should be able to keep it for a month or so

Srom The star san spec sheet:
When solution begins to cloud, sweeten with Star San or Phosphoric Acid. Solution must
remain at a pH at 3 or below to maintain proper sanitizing level.

starsan.jpg

SuperiorBrew said:
I keep mine in a corny, you should be able to keep it for a month or so

Srom The star san spec sheet:
When solution begins to cloud, sweeten with Star San or Phosphoric Acid. Solution must
remain at a pH at 3 or below to maintain proper sanitizing level.

starsan.jpg

pH of 3 - got it, I didn't see that on the bottle, that should be easy enough to check and to keep an eye on.

Unless you have REALLY soft tap water, make it out of RO water. It will last for months and months instead of days or weeks.

I have 5 gallons of Starsan mixed up and it's been around for about 4 months now. I checked the PH of it two days ago to make sure it was fine to use still. The test strip went bright red telling me that it's around 2 for the PH. this stuff last a long damn time.

You have to check the pH and make sure it's not cloudy. I always make mine out of RO or distilled water and can keep it around in a bucket for a long time. If I mix it with my tap water it is cloudy in about 3 hours.

Also, make sure everything is clean before it goes in. Dirty parts will make it cloud up faster.

RICLARK said:
Can you also Store Idophor like this? or is it a 1 time sanatizer?

it keeps, but not for nearly as long. I don't use iodophor but I think people say 1 week is the max.

even if star san gets above pH 3.0, you can add more star san and re-energize the solution once it drops back to 3.0

adx said:
You have to check the pH and make sure it's not cloudy. I always make mine out of RO or distilled water and can keep it around in a bucket for a long time. If I mix it with my tap water it is cloudy in about 3 hours.

Also, make sure everything is clean before it goes in. Dirty parts will make it cloud up faster.
Mine is cloudy as soon as I make it. So I don't worry about that, the PH is what really maters.

Back