Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambrinus

Don't let your meat loaf.
Reaction score
My 1st brew is in the "keg". It should be fermenting at 68-76. The current temp on the side of the keg is 64. How long will it be okay like this and what can I do to get the temp up without disturbing the yeasts?

Gambrinus said:
My 1st brew is in the "keg". It should be fermenting at 68-76. The current temp on the side of the keg is 64. How long will it be okay like this and what can I do to get the temp up without disturbing the yeasts?

Do you mean an actual keg or carboy???

Wrap a blanket around it... or do what i do... use a space heater...

Gambrinus said:
It's a carboy. I used "keg" cause that is what's on the side of it.

Ahh gotcha... Well like I said blanket should do it... I have a space heater getting my room at 70*F... After constantly running for several weeks it keeps the beer in the carboys and Bottles at 70*F.

How long do you think I have to get it to the right temp cuz I am about ready to steadily move it over to the heater vent to bring the temp up. Next time, I am going to use room temp H2O. The recipe said to use cold but I think that was not such a good idea considering it is close to -0 degrees here and my house is pretty chilly.:confused:

Gambrinus said:
How long do you think I have to get it to the right temp cuz I am about ready to steadily move it over to the heater vent to bring the temp up. Next time, I am going to use room temp H2O. The recipe said to use cold but I think that was not such a good idea considering it is close to -0 degrees here and my house is pretty chilly.:confused:

Nah you want the water to be cold when you add it to minimize yeast infection... Just move it to the warmest part of your house. If it is still in the primary stages of fermentation I wouldn't worry too much about rousing the yeast, even during clearing i wouldn't worry. Just don't slosh it and splash it all over inside the carboy... Move it to a warm room, put a blanket on it, give it a little hug (lol), and maybe put a small electric heater in the room and bring it up to the right temp. RDWHAHB

Sounds good. Thanks for the help! I like to little "tuck it in" comment. I almost named it... except it already had one.:rockin: Bottoms up... I need to run to get another.:drunk:

Gambrinus said:
Sounds good. Thanks for the help! I like to little "tuck it in" comment. I almost named it... except it already had one.:rockin: Bottoms up... I need to run to get another.:drunk:

There's nothing wrong with showing your beer you love it... Some people drink it... some people talk to it... i prefer to hug and kiss it... then drink it...

Ha Ha.... good stuff! I like your style.:tank:
The temp is holding aroun 64 right now so I am not too far of. I have it tucked away in some thermal lining so once I get the fluid temp up.... I should be okay.:ban:

Back