First batch, first brew disaster. Need a suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKRaiderAce

Reaction score
Welp bottling day for the first batch came around. But the bottling never happened. Put the bottling bucket on the old hand me down wooden dining room table from the parents. The table decided it didn't want to live anymore. One of the legs broke (No clue how 5 gallons of beer was the deciding factor as the table sees constant use). Beer everywhere. Moving of appliances and mopping every nook and cranny of the disaster site, few hours later. And I'm somewhat discouraged.

The first step in this entire process to me is obvious. I'm taking the damned leg of the table and cutting/sanding it down into a set of coasters...reserved for my second batch in memory of the batch that never was.

Next step is getting a kettle burner because my homebrewing is officially banned from the house and am now relegated to the backyard. Any suggestions on kettle burner? I'm new, but obviously want to stick with the hobby even after such a disaster. Would rather this be a one time purchase. I see the blichmann floor burner, pricier than the others but is it worth it? Is it a reasonable buy for a beginner?

I have a Brinkmann Model 815-4005-S. Used it three times since I got it and have been happy with performance so far.

Around $50-$60 (Home Depot, Amazon, etc...)

After extensive reading of reviews and comments on most all the burners out there I went with the Blichmann. I found price was not the highest priority. The blichmann was everything it claimed to be. efficient and quiet. The following were my list of prioritized attributes:
1. Quiet (highest because growing up on a farm I know that noise will wear on you after a while)
2. efficient (gas and heating)
3. Quality
4. flame control
5. easily convertible to natural gas in the future.
6. price (with-in reason of course)

This was last fall (2014), so could be some better competition out there now. Also, I could spend a little more since I was only doing a one burner system, for HLT and kettle. I've decided that if I do a beer sculpture in the future I would rig it so the burner slides back and forth beneath the HLT and Kettle and continue to use water cooler as MLT. The blichmann heats pretty quick, so it's easy to build a process around a one burner system. For a 5 gal batch system this will work. For a 10+gal system maybe would have to go with 2 burners. And I would buy a blichmann again if research indicated as such for my preferences.

Recently I bought a table top induction cooker to heat small amounts of water as needed. Quick and easy solution since I'm in a detached garage.

For me every time I go for cheap I end up with regrets and/or paying more in the long run. But that's me. Good luck, but what ever you do has to stay in your budget. You have one don't you? :)

bayouo classic banjo burner for me. I added a wind screen around the top to direct heat and reduce the chances of it blowing out at a low simmer.

PlexVector said:
For me every time I go for cheap I end up with regrets and/or paying more in the long run.....

Well said. It's all about delayed gratification. I went Blich and love the things.

I'd recommend the Bayou Classic KAB4 over the Bayou Classic SQ14 (linked above). I started with an SQ14. It works, and is quiet, but it's a little less powerful than I wanted, and lack of a windscreen was a PITA. The KAB4 comes with a windscreen and has a larger area burner capable of higher output. It's also quiet (as are all banjo burners.) The KAB4 uses the same (or very similar) burner as the Blichmann and is much cheaper. The Brulosopher did a nice review on burners, which you can find here.

Edit: I was going to upgrade to a KAB4, but I had a gift certificate to a shop that was having a sale on the Blichmann, so I got the Blich for the same net out of pocket cost as a KAB4.
Brew on :mug:

I've always been told that Bayou Classic makes great, economical burners for homebrewing. The SQ14 and the SP10 seem to be very similar models, both can be purchased for around $50.

Does anyone have any experience with the SP10? I wonder how it compares to the SQ14. It looks like the SP10 has a sort of built-in wind screen in the design.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been told that Bayou Classic makes great, economical burners for homebrewing. The SQ14 and the SP10 seem to be very similar models, both can be purchased for around $50.

Does anyone have any experience with the SP10? I wonder how it compares to the SQ14. It looks like the SP10 has a sort of built-in wind screen in the design.

SQ14 is a banjo burner, so it's quiet. SP10 is a jet burner, so makes significantly more noise.

SQ14 is a banjo burner, so it's quiet. SP10 is a jet burner, so makes significantly more noise.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? I'm not sure that one being quieter than the other would be a selling point for me..

Is that necessarily a bad thing? I'm not sure that one being quieter than the other would be a selling point for me..

Like most things in brewing, it's a personal preference thing. Everyone has to weigh what's important to them and make their own choices. The more information you have, the better choices you can make.

It wasn't for me, but I look at it as an added bonus.

I used the SQ14 for about two and half years before upgrading to the Blichmann. The biggest two things I like about my Blichmann over the SQ14 is it's all stainless and it's a gas sipper compared to the SQ14. One other thing is, I can bolt the Blichmann to my future top tier unit. That's something I want in the future.

And it is MUCH more quieter than my SQ was. It might not be a selling point now, but I think it's one of those things that once you do get something quieter, you won't go back to the "loud and proud" Bayou, at least the SQ14.

So for me, I'd pony up for the Blichmann. The SQ14 did it's job, but I also don't miss it. I sold it to a friend of mine who's getting into the hobby.

I realize it's only tangentially related, but I've often wondered, with a burner like that, does the flame actually contact the bottom of the HLT? Does it damage the bottom of the kettle? My experience with my dad's BBQ was bad (see my recent thread), but there was a significant air gap between the kettle and the actual burner.

I like the coaster idea.

Being "banned from the house" could be a really positive thing in the long run. Sounds like an excuse to build a bad-ass brewery.

I own two Blichmann burners and love them. Sturdy, very adjustable flame and quiet.

Worth it? It depends on your priorities.

IMO, brewing gear is kinda like tools, and there is nothing more expensive than a cheap tool.

The first step in this entire process to me is obvious. I'm taking the damned leg of the table and cutting/sanding it down into a set of coasters...reserved for my second batch in memory of the batch that never was.

You have to name that batch of beer... something like "Coaster-Made" or something like that.

:D

Hm it seems like those who have the Blichmann are quite happy with them.

I like the coaster idea.

Being "banned from the house" could be a really positive thing in the long run. Sounds like an excuse to build a bad-ass brewery.

I own two Blichmann burners and love them. Sturdy, very adjustable flame and quiet.

Worth it? It depends on your priorities.

IMO, brewing gear is kinda like tools, and there is nothing more expensive than a cheap tool.

That last line is something that really stands out to me. Something I've always abided by but never put to words. It is definitely worth the up front cost to get the better tool in the long run.

You have to name that batch of beer... something like "Coaster-Made" or something like that.

:D

I may just have to make a Wobbly Leg/Busted Table themed beer now. :mug:

Welp bottling day for the first batch came around. But the bottling never happened. Put the bottling bucket on the old hand me down wooden dining room table from the parents. The table decided it didn't want to live anymore. One of the legs broke (No clue how 5 gallons of beer was the deciding factor as the table sees constant use). Beer everywhere. Moving of appliances and mopping every nook and cranny of the disaster site, few hours later. And I'm somewhat discouraged.

Next step is getting a kettle burner because my homebrewing is officially banned from the house and am now relegated to the backyard. Any suggestions on kettle burner? I'm new, but obviously want to stick with the hobby even after such a disaster. Would rather this be a one time purchase. I see the blichmann floor burner, pricier than the others but is it worth it? Is it a reasonable buy for a beginner?

So, what were you mak'n? I'd like to recommend some beer names.

Or better yet...lets name your brewery:

"Busted Leg Brewery"

I've been using the SP10 with no complaints. Yes it can be loud, but I don't personally find that to be a problem. I'm still able to have conversation with my brewing buddies without trouble. Nice burner for the money, heated up nicely even in the winter time.

Latest posts

Back