Basement Lagering and mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg6183

Reaction score
Hello,
This winter I have attemped to get in to lagering, using my basement as a resource. I am sure, at least in the northern latitudes, that this is commonly done. However, since this new venture I have getting loads of a whitish, fungus looking stuff in the bottom of my bottles. The white globules resemble mold because they are soft and dissolve when pressed between my fingers. I do a closed primary fermentation in the basement at about 50 degrees F and lager around 45 degrees F for about 4 weeks. My sanitation hasn't changed, although the bottles have been used for many, many Ales up to this point. I also have no signs of fungi on the top of my secondary, although there seems to be some white globules resting amongst the yeast right now. Does anyone have any ideas before I dump my third batch because I cannot find any information that sounds like what I am dealing with??? Thanks!!

I've never heard of a mold that grows at the bottom of the fermenter rather than the top. How does the beer smell and taste? If it tastes and smells good I wouldn't worry about it.

Back