Thoughts on this weizenbock recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strngcheez

Reaction score
So I was thinking about brewing a weizenbock today because I have a Wyest 3068 yeast cake just waiting to be used. I was thinking this, but am open to any suggestions.

8.5# 2 row
4# wheat malt
3# flaked wheat
3# munich
.5# mixture of chocolate, roasted barley, carafa speciall dehusked, and crystal 120

I would leave the flaked wheat out and up the malted, or add some dark wheat (which is sort of like munich-ized wheat). Unmalted wheat is not traditional in German recipes, but if you have it already you will be alright.

The .5 lb mixture is what will make or break this beer. I just did a weizenbock with no dark grains in a 4 gallon batch except .5 lbs of crystal 150 (simpson's extra dark). I've had good luck with it before in dark German beers, it gives a good combination of dark fruit and coffee. If you are attached to those grains I would probably go 6 oz crysal 120, and 2 oz carafa special.

Make sure to keep the fermentation temp down, the bigger the beer the more esters you will get all things being equal. Mine is fermenting at ~58 ambient now with WLP 300.

Latest posts

Back