Smoked Black Lager Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barão

Reaction score
I WANT TO DO :

PILSEN 33 %
RAUCH MALT 33 %
MUNICH MALT 24 %
CARAFA SPECIAL 3 6 %
CRYSTAL 60 L 4 %

WHAT DO YOU THINK ?................ ANY SUGGESTION ?

Looks pretty great! I personally wouldn't use the crystal, and I like some chocolate rye in there along side the Carafa Special. Just something to think about.

Looks pretty great! I personally wouldn't use the crystal, and I like some chocolate rye in there along side the Carafa Special. Just something to think about.
thanks.....I think it would look like Porter

thanks.....I think it would look like Porter
The recipe — Pils, Munich, Carafa Special — looks like a Schwarzbier to me, so I was thinking along those lines. If you wanted to load up more crystal and move it towards a Baltic Porter, that would be good too. I think smoked versions of either of those styles would be great.

Last edited:
Note that they’re proposing to add Sinamar to get the color, so if you work from that recipe you’ll need to do that as well, or up the Carafa Special.

(I don’t know how to get my hands on Sinamar in reasonable quantities.)

Note that they’re proposing to add Sinamar to get the color, so if you work from that recipe you’ll need to do that as well, or up the Carafa Special.

(I don’t know how to get my hands on Sinamar in reasonable quantities.)

I love Weyermann, but like any other maltster, their recipes are written to highlight their products. You do not need Sinamar to make this beer dark.

A popular smoked Schwarzbier here in Massachusetts in Jack's Abby Smoke and Dagger. Brienne Allen started her brewing career at Jack's Abbey and says that it is:

German-based, but it’s basically the same concept as the Czech dark lager, with equal parts Vienna, Munich, and pils, and then using beechwood-smoked malt. But it’s made using German yeast and German techniques to make it come alive. You can taste the differentiation in where these raw materials are coming from. This one is super soft water, it’s crisp, and it’s naturally carbonated, so it’s not in-your-face large bubbles. It doesn’t fill you up super-fast. The smoke is so subtle that you taste it in this one rather than smell it, and it’s kind of an aftertaste. They definitely put the dark malt in the mash through the decoction, so it has more roastiness than a black lager might normally have.”

I just remembered that I had created this attempt at a clone recipe in Beersmith (but haven't brewed it yet):

Munich Malt 26%
Pilsner Malt 26%
Vienna Malt 26%
Smoked Malt 17%
Carafa Special I 3%
Carafa Special II 2%

If you swap out all the Vienna and replace it with more smoked malt and skip the crystal malt, it looks pretty similar to your recipe. Smoke and Dagger isn't super smoky, but it is a delicious beer.

Personally, I would add the Carafa at vorlauf rather than in the mash, as I don't want the added roastiness. I did this in a Schwarzbier last year that won by homebrew club Schwarzbier competition and was very happy with the color and the flavor.

I wasn’t suggesting Sinamar necessarily, just adjusting the recipe towards a little more Carafa Special. I think your 5% is better than their 3%. And I do like the crystal-free versions better.

FWIW I use oak smoke in my Schwarzbier, but if you go this route you need something smokier than the Weyermann wheat.

I love Weyermann, but like any other maltster, their recipes are written to highlight their products. You do not need Sinamar to make this beer dark.

A popular smoked Schwarzbier here in Massachusetts in Jack's Abby Smoke and Dagger. Brienne Allen started her brewing career at Jack's Abbey and says that it is:

I just remembered that I had created this attempt at a clone recipe in Beersmith (but haven't brewed it yet):

Munich Malt 26%
Pilsner Malt 26%
Vienna Malt 26%
Smoked Malt 17%
Carafa Special I 3%
Carafa Special II 2%

If you swap out all the Vienna and replace it with more smoked malt and skip the crystal malt, it looks pretty similar to your recipe. Smoke and Dagger isn't super smoky, but it is a delicious beer.

Personally, I would add the Carafa at vorlauf rather than in the mash, as I don't want the added roastiness. I did this in a Schwarzbier last year that won by homebrew club Schwarzbier competition and was very happy with the color and the flavor.
thanks

Latest posts

Back