Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at a small pizza joint in Huber Heights, OH. I know the owners, great people, nice place. The Sunday bartender was, however, a different story.

Me: "Hi, which Goose Island do you have on tap?" (A tap had a GI tap without words)
Her: "Not sure what you mean, it's Goose Island"
Me: "Which Goose Island beer is it? Honkers? Endless IPA?"
Her: "There's more than one?"
Me: "/sigh...may I have a sample"

Turned out it was a 312 Wheat. Two people sitting at the bar had the same expression she did. My wife knew what was up and just shook her head. When the owner told us it was 312, she had one.

I was at a small pizza joint in Huber Heights, OH. I know the owners, great people, nice place. The Sunday bartender was, however, a different story.

Me: "Hi, which Goose Island do you have on tap?" (A tap had a GI tap without words)
Her: "Not sure what you mean, it's Goose Island"
Me: "Which Goose Island beer is it? Honkers? Endless IPA?"
Her: "There's more than one?"
Me: "/sigh...may I have a sample"

Turned out it was a 312 Wheat. Two people sitting at the bar had the same expression she did. My wife knew what was up and just shook her head. When the owner told us it was 312, she had one.

I've had similar encounters with bartenders before were I had to explain what the difference between a brand and a style is. Being a former bartender this confounds me. The more I know about what products I'm selling, the more money I make.

It can't help that Goose Island has decided to make 312 a brand rather than a beer. The 312 IPA (green bottle) is not very good, either. Not on par with the wheat, which I think is solid.

It can't help that A-B InBev has decided to make 312 a brand rather than a beer. The 312 IPA (green bottle) is not very good, either. Not on par with the wheat, which I think is solid.

FTFY.

Plus, did you expect anything less from them? Take what's most popular, spam the hell out of the market with it, milk it for all it's worth, then leave it to die on the side of the road.

I'll just leave this here...

Woman drowns in wine barrel after becoming intoxicated by fumes
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...ies-after-becoming-intoxicated-by-wine-fumes/

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not that I place much credence in Fox News but my dad claimed something like this almost happened to him about 1940 when he was a night watchman at a winery. He was on a catwalk above a vat and became dizzy & fell in. A hose was hanging down far enough to grab & climb out.

Not that I place much credence in Fox News but my dad claimed something like this almost happened to him about 1940 when he was a night watchman at a winery. He was on a catwalk above a vat and became dizzy & fell in. A hose was hanging down far enough to grab & climb out.

I'm sure it's true...CO2 has a tendency to do that (although your lungs would burn a lot and let you know there was danger). It's the description of the process and such that I'm not too sure of.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ethanol is somewhat volatile. I think it was my Chem 1A prof (decades ago) that said that a very quick way to get intoxicated was to warm brandy in a snifter over a candle flame and inhale deeply. ETOH to bloodstream via the lungs is a lot faster than via the gut. I would imagine that a large amount of wine in a confined area at room temp might have a similar effect.

Ethanol is somewhat volatile. I think it was my Chem 1A prof (decades ago) that said that a very quick way to get intoxicated was to warm brandy in a snifter over a candle flame and inhale deeply. ETOH to bloodstream via the lungs is a lot faster than via the gut. I would imagine that a large amount of wine in a confined area at room temp might have a similar effect.

+1! When I was in Cell Lab in college I had to clean out the incubator because we had an infection in a set of cultures. We used 70% ethanol for cleaning anything that had to do with cell culture, as it was the least toxic to the cell lines (human fibroblasts). Imagine being head and shoulders deep in an warm metal box wiping everything in sight and reach with what was essentially lab grade vodka!
I definitely got a bit hammered from that....

When I have a layover in the Atlanta airport I usually go to F Concourse to the Belgian Beer Cafe, where they have Westmalle Tripel, Delirium Tremens, Duvel and several other Belgian beers. For better or for worse it is plain that to the bartenders it might as well be BMC that they are serving. You hear things like "do you want a mug with that or are you cool drinking from the bottle".

I am skeptical of tasting notes long before the 8th or 9th fruit variety is mentioned. I think maybe someone has already linked to the wine tasting fail but here it is again:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-failed-spot-type-served-multiple-times.html

There is plenty of evidence to show we can really only taste 4 or 5 different flavor compounds at the same time.

That's not too say a beer or wine can't have more. You could taste different ones on separate tastes or with different food, more oxygen, whatever. Or one compound can remind you of multiple things.

There is plenty of evidence to show we can really only taste 4 or 5 different flavor compounds at the same time.

That's not too say a beer or wine can't have more. You could taste different ones on separate tastes or with different food, more oxygen, whatever. Or one compound can remind you of multiple things.

Right. Taste is more variable than many people let on, for various reasons. And I may be tasting what one describes as fig, but it brings to mind something else for me. In a beer review (or wine review) what drives me crazy is the definitive manner in which some describe the taste. Which can lead to very funny parodies.

Id like to know why he had such an old budlight. Its like he knew he needed it one day.

my in-laws had a bad habit of leaving BL in our fridge when they would visit us in WY. I still have 3 left in the basement. I plan on cleaning them up and slipping them into their fridge.:rockin:

my in-laws had a bad habit of leaving BL in our fridge when they would visit us in WY. I still have 3 left in the basement. I plan on cleaning them up and slipping them into their fridge.:rockin:

Oh yeah sure the old blame it on the inlaws hahahahaha. Just kidding(as I line up for my berry punching from Billy)

Sent from somewhere to someone

My-sometime-to-be father in law doesn't like hoppy beers (and he lives in San Diego for goodness sakes). Yet had a lagunitas lil sumpin with breakfast the other day while visiting and didnt seem to mind one bit...

I think he's in denial

Right. Taste is more variable than many people let on, for various reasons. And I may be tasting what one describes as fig, but it brings to mind something else for me. In a beer review (or wine review) what drives me crazy is the definitive manner in which some describe the taste. Which can lead to very funny parodies.

It reminds me of this absolutely ridiculous professional review that a distillery has on their site.

They describe the flavor as:

Attractive aromas of vanilla and banana salt water taffies and pralines with a satiny, dryish medium-to-full body and super smooth and warming, coconut custard pie, raw nut, and peppery spice accented finish.

This is the description of an unaged whiskey.

I'm sorry, but there isn't a whiskey on the planet, aged or unaged, that tastes like "banana salt water taffies" or "pralines" or "coconut custard pie." Then again, "tastes kinda like vodka" as a description for unaged whiskey wouldn't probably help sell something.

Sometimes the flavor descriptions given for spirits and wines makes absolutely no sense.

I do sometimes hear odd flavor descriptions for beer, but usually they aren't particularly odd compared to spirits or wines.

You guys really need to watch "Somm." It's a documentary that follows 4 sommeliers as they attempt to pass the Master Sommelier exam. My favorite part is when they describe a wine's aroma as a "freshly opened can of tennis balls" or "new garden hose." It's not a comedy or a parody or satire. It's a serious documentary. It's on Netflix.

One of the best wines I've ever had was described by a Sommelier as "sous-boi" (rotting log, sorta) and "old leather shoe". Srsly, fantastic bottle of wine. Bought one, drank it 3 years after our honeymoon, and tasted as amazing as I remembered (flood of positive memories helped the experience).

There are so many pretentious ******** with beer that they're almost on par with the pretentious ******** for wine... but I'll give wine the upper-hand, for now. (coffee ******** are coming up in 3rd, fast)

Back