Porter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden512

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a porter recipe. I was thinking about adding both midnight wheat and debittered black into it. Any thoughts about this? Should I stick with one or the other?

I like multiple dark malts in a porter. Those with black patent only can be a little charcoal or ash like IMO. Depending on how dark you want it try 8-10% total and split it 50/50 between the two malts.

You don't mention what type of porter you are after, but to me midnight wheat and debittered black achieve the same thing so I probably wouldn't include both unless I was trying to use up some ingredients. I use a little midnight wheat in my brown porter for color together with pale chocolate and brown malt. For a bigger robust style porter I'd probably include some black malt (not debittered) and regular chocolate aiming for more roast character. What is the rest of your recipe?

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with school and work. I'm going more toward a robust porter with a nice bready character to it as well. I'm not 100% on the percentages yet but my recipe includes

MO
Victory
Chocolate
C-80
Midnight wheat/debittered black

EKG

Wyeast 1098

As I mentioned I'd probably just pick one of those as they achieve very similar things - i.e. color and smoother roast while minimizing bitterness/astringency. For a robust porter you could sub in black patent instead, it would be very common to use in that style. I made one not too long ago that turned out nice, I think I used something like 0.5 lb of black patent and .75 of chocolate.

Back