Wop31's Beer Review Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOP31

Reaction score
For any of the beers that are sent out by The Wop, please post your reviews here.

Thanks and Prost!

I will be stealing ohio's format for reviews because I like it :) I won't be giving a number out of 50, because I have no idea how to do that appropriately.

Old HO Red Ale
------------------------------

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics:
Slight pfft on popping the top. Aroma was strong and fast straight out the bottle neck. Small head on pour, about 1/4 inch. Head faded almost instantly. The color was right on, deep amber to red. Not much for clarity, but was not expected for this specialty ale.

Aroma: very little hop aroma, but strong, warm, full malt aroma. The honey malt came through very clear. It was exactly what was expected.

Palate: First second: More head needed. 2+ seconds in: Malty and round as expected, but thinner than anticipated. In no way is it a thin beer, but the flavor combined with the mouthfeel was like a light, fluffy caramel. Was sweet, tasty, no hop flavor. I love it. The honey malt gives a sweet edge that I really enjoy.

Upon a second sip I'm noticing great carbonation. Fully carbed, all the way through. Bubbles rolling off my tongue from beginning to end.

Proximity to the Style: As a specialty beer, you can't do much with this. It has red in the name and it's definintely red. It's not a high ABV specialty or a spiced specialty and characters from neither of those come through, so I guess it's right on here.

Overall Impression: Pleasant. I couldn't drink this at the pub all night, or even at a party. But there are certain settings I could see myself putting down 4 or 5 pints. Fall evening, with a friend or two, after dinner. I would like to have seen more head. I figured the oats would have taken care of that, but maybe needs some more, or some dextrine malt/more dextrine malt if there was any. The head may have faded because I chilled it overnight. I've heard that can effect the carbonation. But, the carbonation level did seem right on.

Bootstrap Porter
------------------------------

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics:
Slight pfft. Little head after pouring rough, about a 1/4 inch. Faded down pretty quickly, but left a nice thin layer of a creamy, off white head that laced the glass as I drank it. It's a dark brown, but no black. Held up to sunlight you can see through a bit at the bottom.

Aroma: light malt aroma, no hop aroma.

Palate: Solid carbonation, instant roast character strikes the tongue. It's not overpowering, but it fills the mouth as you finish the drink. Malt sweetness in the background, light to medium. Not much hop flavor, perfect bitterness. Somewhat thin for my taste in porters, but I imagine it's how many people prefer their porters.

Proximity to the Style: Right on. I imagine a little heftier beer, body and flavor wise, but I'm pretty sure the porter category dips down to this lighter version.

Overall Impression: Very good, I'm going to drink the other right after I finish this one. It's a beer I can easily drink 3 or 4 of in a night.

Latest posts

Back