Secondary Fermintation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscott987

Reaction score
I am doing my first secondary fermentation. Should I keep my glass carboy in a dark as place as possible? Will light affect the beer?

Yeah, exposure to UV light can cause the "skunk" flavour you may have tasted in some clear/green bottled commercial beers. It's not desired in any style beer.

That rule applies to ANYTHING with hops, including the hops themselves. :)

Here's a dumb question? What the hell goes on in secondary fermintation. I know the clarity of the beer improves but what else. I just see it as an additional step to keep my impatience getting at my beer.

mscott987 said:
Here's a dumb question? What the hell goes on in secondary fermintation. I know the clarity of the beer improves but what else. I just see it as an additional step to keep my impatience getting at my beer.
Further clarification takes place in the secondary. Also you remove your beer from sediment that can impart a flavor to your beer that is not ideal.

The term "secondary fermentation" is really a misnomer. It's called a "bright tank" by commercial breweries. There shouldn't be any fermentation at all going on. I call mine the "clearing tank".

I make wine, too, and sometimes you really do have a secondary fermentation with wine. I think that's where the term comes from.

I usually use a clearing vessel for all my beer. It allows them to clear up a bit, get off the trub, age a bit, etc. All the stuff you see at the bottom of the tank when you go to bottle is stuff that would have been in your bottles!

Fermentation is a natural process. Don't screw with it.

The more patience you practice the clearer your brew will be when you add it to the bottle, the clearer it will pour into the glass, the better it will look/taste...;)

If you are impatient the only thing you'll drink is cloudy green (young) beer...nothing to brag about...then you'll be asking questions like, how come my beers are cloudy?, why does it always taste like this or that? The answer will always lead back to your impatience...let it sit and go brew another one...it'll be ready when it's ready...

If you plan on drinking it for a special occasion you'll just have to plan better/sooner so the brew is ready by a certain date.

Back