Apple wine with fresh apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afraziaaaa

Reaction score
Made a two gallon batch of apple wine last night. I used 8lbs of mashed apples along with a gallon of sugar water.

My question is, how can I obtain an accurate SG reading on this? It is basically a thick applesauce right now. I don't even know if a hydrometer would sink in it. I am probably thinking too much. Should I not worry about it and just let it ferment?

I probably would've strained the chunks out with cheesecloth. Unless the yeast will eat cellulose, you'll probably still have thick applesauce at the end of fermentation too, which sounds hard to drink.

I always put my apples or crabapples in a mesh bag. It's easier if you freeze the apples first, so they are very "smooshy" and keep them in the mesh bag to thaw. I add one campden tablet per gallon, and 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme per gallon, and by the next day I can get a pretty accurate OG.

My recipe under my avatar outlines how I do this.

Wow, the bag...so simple, haha! I was following an alaskan bush recepie given to me by someone in my sister's family (half sister). I was hoping that the apples would settle to the bottom after a while, but If it does turn out to be a thick applesauce (which it looks like already, but is definitely fermenting pretty good) I may try and jack it into brandy. Does anyone have experience with this?

Back