Secondary a Pumkin Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
Do you think it might be best to secondary a pumkin ale because of all the sediment and whatnot floating around in it?

I bottled up my first ever batch of brew, a porter, two weeks ago and everything seemed to go quite well. I am really itching to try one in fact. I just might, even though it's recommended to leave it to carbonate for 3 weeks. But hey, a little flat beer never hurt no one. :D

But anyway, the porter I just left in the primary for a month and then transferred to my bottling bucket to be bottled. But the pumkin ale with all the canned pumpkin I added I'm thinking perhaps I should secondary this? And maybe float a few cinamon sticks in there?

What do ya guys think?

If you have real pumpkin in the boil/fermenter, you will need a secondary or even a tertiary...It is one of the few things I use a secondary for. I tried to do my usualy long primary once, and it was a mess. It clogged the bottling wand to no end.

Well, yes. I used real canned pumkin in the boil at various stages. When I poured the wort into the fermentor I did use a strainer and man that thing clogged up constantly. I kept having to rinse it off, dunk in sanitizer, and continue to pour. Rinse, repeat until all the wort was in the fermentor. I would imagine I got alot of the bigger stuff but I'm sure there's plenty more that will settle out of the beer during fermentation.

So, you do recommend the secondary in this instance? Now that being the case, how long do I leave it in the fermentor before transfer? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

Then how long do I leave in the secondary? And at what temp?

Sorry for all the questions. This is only my second time brewing beer.

Don't apologize for asking questions... that's why the forum, and thus we, are here. I've only done a pumpkin ale using pumpkin in the mash but I would vouch for a secondary, at the very least a short one.

Leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks, rack to secondary and leave for a couple more weeks.

+1 on Reno's note. I just racked my pumpkin spice out of the primary after about 2.5 weeks. It had about 1.5-1.75" of crap at the bottom. THICK.

It racked pretty clean to the secondary though.

Back