12-12-12 Style Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style of beer would you like for 12-12-12 Anniversary Brew?

• Imperial Stout (Russian/American)

• Scotch Strong Ale, Wee Heavy

• Belgian Quad

• Baltic Porter

• Barleywine

• Wheatwine

• IIPA

• Burton Ale

• Eisbock

• Rye Weizenbock

Results are only viewable after voting.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the list for 12-12-12 styles to choose from.

I added the last one just because I thought about it and well I made the poll which had 10 options. The eisbock was mentioned in the 11-11-11 thread as well as I think the 12-12-12 discussion. It seems that whatever is made will be oaked either in a barrel or with cubes. Whatever style is decided upon the recipe can be hashed out later. Right now we're just trying to decide on a style so we can create a recipe.

I voted for the Scotch Strong, regardless of the final selection here I need to brew up a WH, thinking of the Traquair house ale.

I'm with you. I want to brew one as well really bad. However on the flipside I just got a shipment of sugar in from Candry Syrup Inc. So I have D180 on hand to brew up a badass quad.

I voted quad but would also be veryhappy with the wee heavy. Now I'm second guessing my vote.

Went with the wee heavy option since I'm planning on brewing one soon anyway. It's going to be another version of a brew I did a while back (in February of this year).

Once the type is decided, how will the recipe be selected? Guess I'll need to dig into the other threads from years gone past to see how this works...

I am still kinda new here but wouldn't a winter warmer be appropriate for december? Otherwise looking back through the previous years styles I don't believe a doppelbock has been done which might be interesting.

On the other hand, why limit ourselves to an established style at all? I would think that there are enough experienced brewers as well as creative individuals to come up with something completely unique. Malty or hoppy, pale or dark, rich or dry, we could create whatever we want provided it falls within the consensus of the group. I would think that would be a fitting brew to cap the sequential month/date/year sequence.

Tough decision. Had to go with the wee heavy, but I'd be equally happy to brew a Baltic porter.

Perhaps next time we can do the fixed grain bill idea with no set style. That'd be fun and pretty creative.

I went with RIS because I think it would be a good backdrop for Aztec-type spices. It would be fun to do an End of the World Ale since 12-21-12 is supposedly it. :)

Quad pulled back into the lead.

I like the musical knofe fight idea though.

I think that since the "Mayans" errr crazy people are predicting this near the end...the 12.12.12 brew sound be full circle so we should fine the earliest recipe available and brew that in mass....whatever it is I am with you all to ride this crazyness out

Never know, one of the back-runners might get some new life to it and come out on top... I'd rather see this thread to completion than kill it early just because it looks like we have two that will be competing for the prize...

Weren't belgian brewers heavily influenced by scottish ales not so long ago? I seem to remember that scotch ale was a popular style for belgian breweries to brew sometime in the last couple centuries. I think one of the famous belgian yeasts was isolated from a scottish ale too, right? Sorry I'm being so vague but my memory on the subject is a bit fuzzy. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that maybe we can do a kind of mash-up of the two current leaders, the Wee Heavy and the BDSA. Can someone more familiar with the subject of scottish beer being brewed in belgium please explain the situation I so poorly outlined?

Alright, so I read up on the subject a bit. Apparently it was Jean De Clerck who isolated two strains from a McEwans ale to use in Duvel. Also interesting is that there used to be a dark version of Duvel that was actually the original. I'm picturing a Wee Heavy grain bill, something like Golden Promise and a touch of roasted barley, maybe some caramel and other dark malts if we feel like it. Long boil, big kettle caramelization. Low bitterness. Duvel yeast. Crazy but I think it could be really good.

I'm not very clear with my posts, I guess I meant after this thread has been "completed", then if still needed, make a thread with the top few styles to make the final decision. Just my opinion, since there are so many people on either side of the current top two. We could also just make the winner regardless of how much it won by.

Of course, if King Brian is correct, this conversation may be for nothing..... :drunk:

Is this for anyone to vote on? I am not familiar with the goings on of the yearly brew here. I would love an RIS, personally. What do people do with this recipe? Is there a competition to see which beer from the same basic recipe comes out best, or how twisted people can make it?

KingBrianI said:
Alright, so I read up on the subject a bit. Apparently it was Jean De Clerck who isolated two strains from a McEwans ale to use in Duvel. Also interesting is that there used to be a dark version of Duvel that was actually the original. I'm picturing a Wee Heavy grain bill, something like Golden Promise and a touch of roasted barley, maybe some caramel and other dark malts if we feel like it. Long boil, big kettle caramelization. Low bitterness. Duvel yeast. Crazy but I think it could be really good.

This. Sounds. Awesome.

Boo quad, boo! I'll brew up a wee heavy in addition to the quad I reckon if the quad wins out.

This poll will last for another 27 days or so. I didn't know we were done and over after only three days.

This poll is for anyone to vote on that wants to brew the 12-12-12 beer. The first year I participated was this past brew the 11-11-11 Old Ale. As I understand it all the guys that brew mail out bottles to the other brewers and there is a massive trade. That way you have your beer plus all the others that were brewed to sample. It displays individual brewing character and practices.

I say a mash up or brew both the Wee Heavy and a Quad, screw it. If the World's gonna end we might as well get pasted and enjoy the show.

Is this for anyone to vote on? I am not familiar with the goings on of the yearly brew here. I would love an RIS, personally. What do people do with this recipe? Is there a competition to see which beer from the same basic recipe comes out best, or how twisted people can make it?

no, you can only vote for this if you like beer and aren't a complete tool.;):mug:

I have never made a RIS but I would be down for it if it wins.

I've never made one either, but damn they are tasty! RIS! RIS! I say forget this wee heavy business, it is a small niche that not everyone apprecates. Baltic Porter, Quad, or RIS! Barley/wheat wines are commonplace enough... so I cross those off. The bottom of the list is kind of obscure, but interesting. I want to brew something that I will want to drink regularly enough that I run out before the world actually ends.

OOH!
IDEA!
:drunk: <--this guy is the beer drinkers' equivilent to a lightbulb going off

La Fin Du Monde!

end of the world?

Listen to this guy! lol
http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/sommelier/history/#/video-12

Its a Tripel, but I think it would make an excellent base, just for its ideal. I have tasted it as well, and enjoyed it a lot!

Back