Brew Dog Tokyo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Has anyone taken the plunge and tried this beer? I just saw it at my most excellent liquor store, picked up a 12 oz bottle of this 18.2% ABV thing made with cranberries and jasmine, but put it back due to the whopping $12.95 price tag for a SINGLE 12 oz bottle.

Now, I am not afraid to pay for great beer, and have put down nearly as much for a single bottle of The Beast and champagne bottles from DFH; however, 13 bucks for a single 12 oz seems excessive.

Has anyone tried this brew, and if so, from a somewhat objective standpoint, was it worth it?

BrewDogTokyoStar1-990x584.jpg

I had it recently and it's one of the only beers i've ever poured down the drain.(wife wouldn't drink it either and her tastes are different to mine)
Now on the Irish homebrew website I'm in a minority it would seem but you will either love or hate it. It's easily the worst beer I have ever tasted that didn't have some problem, I was actually gagging for minutes after the one or two mouthfuls that I took.

But it might be your thing.

I paid 6 euros for a bottle in Amsterdam last week; I was pretty impressed actually since I'd expected it to be foul. It took a while to get through, but that's probably just as well.

My local bar has Tactical Nuclear Penguin and Sink The Bismark for sale, but the 75 EUR and 85 EUR price tag has put me off (so far at least).

Its one of the few Brewdog beers I really liked.

I wont say its worth the price, since you can find great/better domestic beers for cheaper, but it is worth a try if you have money to burn.

What you have to consider when buying an 18% + beer is the time and effort that goes into brewing these beers. A normal 4 to 7% beer takes about a month to get out of a brewery, these take 3 to 4 months. For starters the grain bill is up to 4 times that of a normal brew, and then they have to aerate the wort for a week in the fermenter, then feed the yeast daily with calculated amounts of sugar at specific times of the day. As for the Tactical nuclear penguin and Sink the Bismark, they are made using a process called ice distillation. They are frozen repeatedly and the water content removed therefore leaving a sort of beer concentrate. So when you add up the time and labor that goes into one of these beers you can understand the price tag. Obliviously some will not like it, but we should all have respect for the brewers that push the limits of brewing.

As for the Tactical nuclear penguin and Sink the Bismark, they are made using a process called ice distillation. They are frozen repeatedly and the water content removed therefore leaving a sort of beer concentrate. So when you add up the time and labor that goes into one of these beers you can understand the price tag. Obliviously some will not like it, but we should all have respect for the brewers that push the limits of brewing.

Maybe, that guy in Germany who keeps breaking the ABV record like a month after Brew Dog breaks it sells his 40% or whatever ABV beers for like 10 euros.

I just bought two, will try one next week. A buddy swears by it. If as good as he says, I would love a clone recipe. Due to Driller's comments, it might be more work than it is worth.

Back