She wants my brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Divorce sucks. It just does. And when children are involved, the suckitude never ends. Laws vary widely from state to state. But all it takes is one party in the divorce with a bitter and vindictive attitude to make every possible part of the process a living hell for as long as possible. I've been divorced for almost 20 years, and although much better, every contact with the other party is still turned into a nightmare.

+ 1 from me. I know I tried to take the high road and gave her everything she wanted except my daughter. I finally put my foot down when a year after the divorce was final she came over to pick up my daughter for the weekend and saw the new microwave I had just bought the week before and wanted it.

Point being while it is all just stuff at least for me in my case I needed to say enough I am not walmart.

In the end it is the kids that matter. Remember you might be divorcing their mom but they are not. Sucks I know and I got 4 more years till my kid is 18 and I will have nothing more to do with my ex. But until then I suck it up and brew more beer.

Alucard1983 said:
sell it to your friend for one dollar... that way she only gets 50 cents LOL. then buy it back for 2 dollar. its legal ask you lawyer!!

That...is...awesome!

Just give it to her. Brett is an amazing thing. So is ammonia and bleach.
I would gladly give you $1 to help you get back on your brewing feet. Homebrew talk fund raiser anyone? Lol.

If she won't be reasonable, do not give her anything - let the court decide how to divide the property. In all likelihood the worst the court will do is give her half the value of the brewery, not the brewery itself. She does not sound like she will be reasonable if you agree to give her the brewery; she will want something else, and then something else until she has everything. Lawyer up.

Give it to her. Ask a friend (who she doesn't know) to offer her $100 for it. Leave it at his place until divorce settles.

Airborneguy said:
Hmmm. I wonder how many people have a second dollar... I think I feel a divorce coming on.

My wife just left with the kids, dog, AND brew rig! Can I get a hundred dolla holla!

You can replace your brew rig, can't replace your kids... If my wife wanted a divorce I could care less how the stuff gets split up ( ok I want to keep my guns, camera and brew gear if possible) as long as I get at least 50/50 custody of our son.

If my wife wanted a divorce, i'd gladly give up my brewing gear. I wouldn't need to brew anymlre anyway. I'd then be single and not have anyone to answer to when I spend money on booze....or anything else like thai prostitutes and other illegal stuff.

molotov cocktail through the window of her car in the middle of the night, threatening phone calls from a voice modification device via payphones (threaten to kill 'her husband' as well to throw off the scent), get her fired from her job, make her life as much hell as you can without being caught.

mikeysab said:
or anything else like thai prostitutes and other illegal stuff.

I'm pretty sure Thai prostitutes are about as illegal as a cold glass of milk

If she won't be reasonable, do not give her anything - let the court decide how to divide the property. In all likelihood the worst the court will do is give her half the value of the brewery, not the brewery itself. She does not sound like she will be reasonable if you agree to give her the brewery; she will want something else, and then something else until she has everything. Lawyer up.

This! She is just going to want more, put your foot down and let the court and judge figure it out. I bet he lets you keep it.

motorcyclematt said:
this! She is just going to want more, put your foot down and let the court and judge figure it out. I bet he lets you keep it.

+1

Sorry to hear the news... I understand how you can love your equipment enough to do what it takes to hold on to it.

PLEASE PLEASE let this inspire the death of the horrible immasculating acronym SWMBO. That is the only time I will type that. I see those letters, I think of a big bowl of wimpy cold porridge, not a man.

Stories like this is are one reason why I will never get married. If I were in your shoes I would give up everything just to cut my losses.

Now for the craziness... Didn't the wedding vows say "till death"? Ask for her life as an Indentured servant since you've become accustom to her cooking and cleaning for you.

\

sell it to your friend for one dollar... that way she only gets 50 cents LOL. then buy it back for 2 dollar. its legal ask you lawyer!!

;)GREAT !!!!!!cant say enough about this one lol .

Don't ever try anything like this. You can get in huge trouble for this, since it's essentially hiding assets. It sucks, but you can't be shady about anything financial. Since a judge has a lot of latitude in divorce proceedings, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not. If you've done it in order to keep the assets from your wife, you'll get slapped hard.

Keep the peace with the kids- be the good guy in the situation. Let her have the brew rig. All of us started small and built our set ups. You too will brew again. The $ you save with her outta your life will pay for a new set up. Hell, tape a picture of a Sabco unit on your fridge and work towards that! But I would brew every waking moment you have to spare before the divorce to fill that beer cellar so you have plenty in reserve to celebrate your freedom afterwards. RDWHAHB!

If you have already hired a lawyer then let your lawyer deal with it. It's what you're paying for. It sounds like you probably don't. If you don't and there are enough assets in the marital estate, you should probably look at hiring counsel.

You're in a very difficult situation. The more you agree to let her have the more she will find she wants. So there's no real upside to trying to be civil and trying to appease her just to get over with it. If you go before the judge and ask the judge to divide personal property -- which family court judges hate to have to do -- the judge will probably give all the brewing equipment to you but he or she may just divide it all in half. If you're obstinate about the whole thing it could drag out for years. Either be prepared to fight over everything or give up everything and start over.

Every divorce I've seen has unfolded exactly like Reverse just stated. What finally ended mine was that my ex asked for so much that she pissed the judge off who then ordered that we settle, which we did right in the hallway outside the courtroom. My wife's divorce went the same way, in a different state by the way. He was asking for alimony and almost got it (she made more), until he got bold and asked for too much. Bam! He got nothing.

I was councelled not to give up anything unless forced to or as a trade off for something else. If she walks away thinking divorce was easy and she won on every point, be prepared to see yourself back in court over the years on child custody issues, repeatedly. If she learns that divorce is a hard battle now, she may not be as ready to drag you into court in the future.

I praise the heavens every day that she had the miscarraige that she had while we were married. My life would be an absolute disaster if we had children together. I very likely would have lost my job because that was her goal and she was willing to say anything to get me in trouble. She claimed gunpoint threats, drunken violence, child abuse (she had a son), all kinds of things. Thank god my history and character record are impeccable. The kid would have grown up under horrible circumstances and had no chance of a normal life anyway.

PLEASE PLEASE let this inspire the death of the horrible immasculating acronym SWMBO. That is the only time I will type that. I see those letters, I think of a big bowl of wimpy cold porridge, not a man.

Thank you for the cry out from the wilderness. I want to throw up every time I see it.

Took me a long time to realize it was for the best, but I can guarantee that unborn child was sacrificed so that my daughters could be born and have the great life that me and my current wife are giving them. I was married to the devil and her entire family. No child deserves to be in that environment. Besides, my ex caused it anyway with her unhealthy lifestyle and her bingeing and purging. Not to mention, I'm not even positive she was ever pregnant. I learned about the miscarriage in my divorce when she attempted to blame it on me beating her.

Airborneguy, I'm thinking that was probably a lie, but I'm sorry anyway.
If (when) I get divorced, I just want the house I live in and all the stuff that I've bought over the years, which is everything that one needs to run a household. Our money has always been kept in separate accounts. I hope that counts for something.
HWMC now has significantly more money than I do, yet contributes only utilities payments where we live. My standard of living has decreased while his is quite nice.
At least he won't be looking for my smoker or my kegerator. I think :)

Back