Finally opening my Brewery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
Hey, I haven't been lurking HBT as much as I once had but thought I'd post as I've recently received word that my zoning has finally been approved! my building permit application was just submitted last week so please send some good karma my way.

This has been quite the uphill battle, incase anyone is interested I'll give you a bit of the story.

I started volunteering at a local brewery back in 2004 thinking that I'd try to learn as much as I could and try to get a job as a brewer. Well, after cleaning mountains of kegs and hand washing growlers for hours on end, the head brewer finally offered me a part time cellar position. After working my full-time job overnights and working at the brewery in the mornings for a few years I started really looking for a full-time brewer position. Judging from the starting rate for brewers at the brewer I was working for I knew I would have to take a pay cut (and maybe relocate) to make it happen. Shortly after making the decision to make the jump my wife told me that she was pregnant! So I decided that it probably wasn't the best time to take a pay cut or to relocate and I put that plan on the back burner. A short time later the brewery started an expansion project and decided to eliminate my part time position to hire another full-time brewer position and I left the brewery.

I continued to brew at home as often as I could and a couple of years later a friend of mine decided that he wanted to start a brewery and asked if I would be interested in partnering with him on the project. With my kids getting near school age I figured I could try to keep my day job and work on the brewery part-time. We started working with the town planning board and after a few meetings (and a few months) they told us that we would need to plant 150 trees on the ~3 acre lot and get approval from the DEC for our waste water system then when would be able to move forward with the permitting process. 150 trees! So I started researching waste water and found that the system were pretty expensive. I put the numbers together and for the buildout, building finish, tanks etc. and then my business partner decided to move on from the project.

So I decided I would try to make this happen on my own. I started to really work on a business plan and then one night after having some beers with an old friend he said that he was interested in going in on the project. So we look at a few properties and found a spot that looked promising, a standalone building in an area with a bunch of shops and restaurants. We setup a meeting with the Mayor, he said he loved the idea but the village was in the middle of rewriting the village codes and that it should be completed in a few months this is when things started getting interesting.....

So we waited a few weeks before calling the Mayor to discuss the process and to try and get an idea of when the code update would be completed. We played phone tag with the mayor for a few months and then he said that we should submit a special use permit application and file as a restaurant.

After submitting the application we waited, our project wasn't on the agenda for that months meeting so we called the village, no answer, we waited for the next months meeting and again we were not on the agenda. We called again and were finally told that they didn't have our application! So to shorten the story a bit (because there is a whole bunch more of the same) we hired a lawyer and things started moving forward, we got on an agenda, met with the board and finally received a determination of approved use by the village building inspector. So the building owner put us in touch with his architect and put floor plans together, the day before we were going to drop off the building permit application we received notification that the village trustees had filed an appeal to the building inspectors determination of approved use...

Looking forward to hearing how it all panned out! Congrats on getting as far as you have.

I have been through the ringer trying to open a brewery since 2012... I've been through 3 business partners, a few crowd funding projects, lots of business planning that I've had to keep updating due to changes in cost and industry. Funny thing is the TTB and the local govt have been the easiest to work with. It's getting the funding and the right partner that has been the issue! Your story sort of sounds like mine... Now I have 2 kids, a new house, and the timing just isn't right atm but one day it will be. I've just kept up on the brewing and honing in recipes so when the time is right I'll be as ready as I can be to hit the ground running.

I wish you luck!! What is the name of your brewery?

Thanks for the replies,

bobeer - yup, I had twins and bought a house a while back and yes I'm still tweaking recipes brewing every other week or so. I'm not going to post the name just yet as we are still working through the trade mark process but I will reply to this thread once the trademark search is complete.

so after we received the appeal notification from the village our landlord started a thread on facebook that caught the attention of the beer writer from the local paper. The reporter wrote an article that ended up being front page news! We then had a public hearing where the appeal was pushed to the next zoning board of appeals (ZBA) meeting a few weeks later. Every local media outlet was in attendance for that ZBA meeting, after a couple of hours one of the board members moved to vote and stated tie goes to the runner....

Last edited:
Thanks jschein!

The board voted 4 to 1 that the building inspectors determination of approved use was correct and we were able to move forward! My plump mug was on every news cast that night.

Today we were told that we should receive a response from the building inspector by the end of the week.

All said and done we are about a month shy of two years of work to get to this point with this building.

It will be interesting to see how this goes, there have been some potential issues pointed out in previous discussions with the building inspector. The mill has been mentioned as a potential hazard and I’m thinking they are going to make me build an explosion proof room to enclose it.

Anyways, the saga continues, onward and upward!

Craziness! How exciting to be in the middle of all that drama and to have it being covered in the local paper and news. That's great for future business! Keep us posted and good luck.

Craziness! How exciting to be in the middle of all that drama and to have it being covered in the local paper and news. That's great for future business! Keep us posted and good luck.

Thanks! The funny part was I had a pretty gnarly head cold the day of the ZBA meeting and almost told my business partner that I was going to have to miss the meeting.

I don’t think he would have done the interview for the reporters. I don’t think we would have received approval if it wasn’t for the media coverage.

Sounds like you are almost there, keep up the good work.

About that mill, you may want to have a plan ready for the inspector just in case. I have seen the mills have a hood and a vacuum pulling the dust to garbage cans. Wish I had a picture. In Delaware they made the LHBS do the same.

Now, 3 weeks after submitting our application the building inspector has requested a MEP (Mechanical, electrical, plumbing) drawing of the building.........

NY is the brutal for business. The town boards have this thing for trees. My job put up an expansion building and had to line it with trees that are so tall now they block all the exterior lights. Are you by Binghamton. I'm on the CT border and two Brewery's there had zero problems opening.

I've watched three breweries go up in my area and these issues are typical. One was required to install fireproof doors in between all interior rooms... and the building was once a warehouse so the interior doors were gigantic. Another was required to re-plumb the entire water and sewer system. its nuts.

Construction pics

Attachments

• DBC03EC8-0A55-47AF-BF47-2C5061A262EC.jpeg
    DBC03EC8-0A55-47AF-BF47-2C5061A262EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 281
Hey congrats! I just stumbled upon this thread. The process is long getting set up especially in a building that wasn’t a brewery in the first place. As arduous as it is jumping through the hoops, then being told, “okay! Here are more hoops.” at least when you do open the powers that be won’t close you down (temporarily). I’ve seen it happen twice for different reasons.

Are you going for the farm brewery designation? Seems there are many benefits to going that way.
I used to go to union convention in Rochester, and Niagara Falls with my hubby, he’s retired now, but who knows, a vacation could bring us back in the next few years. I’d wish you luck, but your work is what is going to get you opened, a few lucky breaks and things going to plan are always welcomed. Keep the updates and pictures coming.

I’m going with the micro license, I do like the idea of the farm license and I’m super interested in working with local ingredients whenever possible but the cost and quality of those ingredients are a concern. I also really enjoy sourcing ingredients for style, a German pilsner for example wouldn’t be the same if I used locally grown malt/hops.

Just stumbled on this thread. I live in Pittsford! Where are you located?! How is the progress?

Hey sonujohar, our building is located in Northfield Common, the address is 50 State St building G.

We are still working through our internal construction, the rough in was just completed on the bathrooms. The rest of the construction should really get rolling next week. Right now if all goes well we are shooting for opening in May!

Our trademark process for our name has finally finish so I can release the name...

Copper Leaf Brewing Company

Checkout our website, not much on there yet but worth look
https://www.copperleafbrewingco.com

I love local brewers and support them as much as possible. Just great places to drink beer and meet people. Good luck with your business!

Hi Killian, quick question for you. I have a kegerator at home where I keep getting foam... super frustrating. Do you know of a service that would come out to my home and get this thing calibrated for me?!

Interesting. I've heard so many horror stories about the process of opening a brewery. My beer nerd buddies tried to get me to open one. They were all ready to invest, but I feel like the market is pretty much saturated now. If I opened one, it would be a nano, serving only beer and only from the facility (no canning/bottling, distrubuters etc. ) and it would be mostly hobby.

I stopped by a place in Minnesota on my way to minneapolis. They had a tiny building, about 5 tables and, I'm guessing, about a 3 barrel system. It was really the model of what I'd want to do.

I could retire now, from a financial perspective, and do it as a retirement "project", but the cost of medical insurance is prohibitive since i'm only 56. I'll see what things look like when I'm closer to 65...do I still want to do it? Is the market conducive, etc.

Interesting. I've heard so many horror stories about the process of opening a brewery. My beer nerd buddies tried to get me to open one. They were all ready to invest, but I feel like the market is pretty much saturated now. If I opened one, it would be a nano, serving only beer and only from the facility (no canning/bottling, distrubuters etc. ) and it would be mostly hobby.

I stopped by a place in Minnesota on my way to minneapolis. They had a tiny building, about 5 tables and, I'm guessing, about a 3 barrel system. It was really the model of what I'd want to do.

I could retire now, from a financial perspective, and do it as a retirement "project", but the cost of medical insurance is prohibitive since i'm only 56. I'll see what things look like when I'm closer to 65...do I still want to do it? Is the market conducive, etc.

Saw a nice video of a lifestyle brewery (highlighting the BREWHA brewing system if memory serves). Sounds like a perfect way to spend your days in retirement!

I have been seriously considering opening (yet another) brewery here in San Diego. Your story is very similar to the Langunitas story (Excellent, fun read. VERY funny in parts. Had me in tears laughing at some of the stuff https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1556525621/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), which to me sounds about right. Typical red tape BS. Figuring things out is my strength. Dealing with BS politics is not.

So.. 150+ breweries here in SD.... Almost all focus on IPAs, of which I cant stand. LOL However I think I have a couple ideas on how to differentiate, which is what makes any business successful. Find a differentiating factor that the target customers will like. I just dont know if I have the personality to deal with all that political nonsense. Need to find a partner who can fill that gap.

Thanks for sharing your story. This is excellent information.

Back