Alt vs. Steam Ale and Munich vs. Vienna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
After having read quite a lot, I don't understand the difference between an Alt and the California Steam ale and Dark or Light Munch vs. Vienna malt. Can anyone help me figure out what the difference is between the two?

Sure, so basically my problem is this:

An Alt is a German beer with about 30-60IBU and a starting gravity between 44-54 made with noble German hops possibly using decoction mash with a yeast strain which will be an ale strain but most active in the 55-60 range. It is then cold conditioned or lagered for an extended period of time.

A steam ale is an American beer with 30-60IBU with a starting gravity between 44-54 made with noble clone hops from America and might also include a decoction mash (though that is a bit rare) and is made with an ale yeast strain most active between 55-60. Is it then cold conditioned?

Basically, I have only had Anchor Steam and I haven't made a California common. I haven't made an alt, and I haven't had one, do the two taste similar?

Also, can I use Munich and Vienna malt interchangeably? I haven't really seen a difference in things that I have read and I am wondering what the difference is between Munich and Vienna.

anchor steam is pretty much the same as a california common. the anchor steam company has the rights to the "anchor steam" name so any other beer in that style goes by the name cal common. munich and vienna have different taste and color but i wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's a competition.

Sure, so basically my problem is this:

An Alt is a German beer with about 30-60IBU and a starting gravity between 44-54 made with noble German hops possibly using decoction mash with a yeast strain which will be an ale strain but most active in the 55-60 range. It is then cold conditioned or lagered for an extended period of time.

A steam ale is an American beer with 30-60IBU with a starting gravity between 44-54 made with noble clone hops from America and might also include a decoction mash (though that is a bit rare) and is made with an ale yeast strain most active between 55-60. Is it then cold conditioned?

Basically, I have only had Anchor Steam and I haven't made a California common. I haven't made an alt, and I haven't had one, do the two taste similar?

Also, can I use Munich and Vienna malt interchangeably? I haven't really seen a difference in things that I have read and I am wondering what the difference is between Munich and Vienna.

The only way you are going to know the difference between munich
and vienna is to brew two beers using only one of them each, lightly
hopped, and taste it. And then you would have to try different brands
of them to see what those differences are. It's not a huge difference,
but they are different.

Award winning recipes for alt and cali common are here:

http://www.beerdujour.com/JamilsRecipes.htm

They are quite different. For one thing, Anchor Steam in particular,
uses only one hop, Northern Brewer, for bittering and flavoring and
most of the characteristic flavor comes from that. You could do
everything else the same but change the hops and it will be completely
different. Jamil's recipe uses light chocolate malt at 200L as the darkest
grain, his Dusseldort alt uses 400L Carafa special. The alt is a much
darker beer, and has no flavoring hops, only bittering, and the Diebel's alt
that I had in Germany had a distinct caramel flavor.

Ray

Interesting. Also Alts can in fact have a huge hope aroma, flavor and huge bitterness with some of them having a BU:GU ratio of over 1. Granted those are specialty beers. Also I thought that darker grains shouldn't really be used in either. I suppose that the Alt the Steam ale use the same process due to the roots but come out as totally different beers. I might have to play with these this winter.

I like the idea of making a 10# batch with Wyerman Vienna and 10# with Munich each with 1oz of halertauer at about 4.7% AA for about 15IBU and the same yeast strain, maybe make a starter and split it. I can even decoct them both to really draw out the huge malt flavor. This sounds like an excellent project for this crappy weekend. I don't even know what beer style this will be except that it will be quite drinkable.

Back