Question on Quick connects...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I recently went to mostly hard plumbing. In disassembling my one of my Mcmaster quick connects http://www.mcmaster.com/#6739k64/=aibkzd I found that the npt thread for the hose barb is actually 1/4".

Uh, that's pretty darn small. I know a lot of brewers use these and to replace my obsessively quick connected system I'd need like 10 sets of these. Is it worth it to begin a swap out? I have a RIMS system. I got a stuck sparge last week while recirculating and it got me thinking about how small those openings are and how long it takes to transfer.

Will the 1/2" and 5/8" coupling versions be twice as much flow?

Thanks and cheers!:mug:

In theory much more than double. Flow is proportional to the area. Area is proportional to the sqaure of the diameter. And that's ignoring friction and turbulence.

Thanks for explaining that. I'm going to switch them out. I imagine it will greatly help the efficiency of my RIMS system to have better flow.

Thanks.

Back