How deep a freezer do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
OK, after a few years of trying to maintain temperature control with ice bombs in a cooler, I'm ready to graduate to real temperature control system. I'm going to buy a chest freezer and temp controller as soon as I get all the specs figured out. So I have two questions for the folks here on the forum. 1) how deep does the chest freezer need to be? My ball lock cornies are 25" tall. I assume I need a couple inches over that for hoses, etc. Anyone have a minimum height number?

2) I know I've read a ton of threads on different controls but while I'm in the "what did you do" mode I figured I'd ask - what model number(s) for a control that will let you control the freezer temp and a ferm wrap blanket?

Thanks to all for the help & for making life easier for us novices!

OK, after a few years of trying to maintain temperature control with ice bombs in a cooler, I'm ready to graduate to real temperature control system. I'm going to buy a chest freezer and temp controller as soon as I get all the specs figured out. So I have two questions for the folks here on the forum. 1) how deep does the chest freezer need to be? My ball lock cornies are 25" tall. I assume I need a couple inches over that for hoses, etc. Anyone have a minimum height number?

2) I know I've read a ton of threads on different controls but while I'm in the "what did you do" mode I figured I'd ask - what model number(s) for a control that will let you control the freezer temp and a ferm wrap blanket?

Thanks to all for the help & for making life easier for us novices!

I think any 5cuft or bigger chest freezer is deep enough. A corny keg is about 23" high before disconnects. I'd say 25" high should be plenty.

Back