Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1=392, having a homebrew while brewing and messing with beer in general is very hard on hydrometers. Mine seldom last more than three or four brews. Actually I don't know how many I have broken but it is enough for me to lose track of the number

I just got one of those hydrometers that are specialized for finishing gravity. Oh man, it looks way more delicate than even the standard ones. Considering the price, I'm really going to have to baby the heck out of this thing.

I bought an expensive hydrometer (14.95 I think) to let me read FG more accurately. Shortly after I started using it it developed a hairline crack which allowed a small amount of wort to seep into the bulb throwing off my readings. It would evaporate quickly and it was some time before I realized this.

Having broken several others and getting fed up I invested in a refractometer to do all my pre boil and OG reading and only use a hydrometer for FG.

+3 to count

+1

Had a few friends over last brew day because they were interested in the process. Someone tried to take a hydrometer reading on 150-degree wort and then 'clean' the hydrometer in the bucket of 50-degree sanitizer solution.

"Get the hydrometer so we can take another reading."

"You want both pieces?"

400!

:drunk:

damn I just posted on how I had not broken one in over a year. and of coarse I droped it in the sink so I guess that makes it

I would always see these "I broke my hydrometer" threads and think "How did you manage that? It's thin glass. Be careful with it!".

(I also broke my racking cane 2 days ago. On the bright side the 90 minute IPA is looking and smelling amazing.)

Broke one the other week

Also set refractometer a little close to stove and melted the little flippy lid... does that count as well? :)

I emptied my bucket of equipment onto the floor and ended up stepping on it. I was barefoot so I'm glad I crushed the skinny end.

*sigh* +1

This one lasted about 6 hours. Long enough to get it home from the LHBS, take a final gravity reading on the last batch, and then crush it while making the new batch.

Note to self... when you designate an area to store the hydrometer while brewing so that you DON'T break it, you should remember to KEEP the hydrometer in that area.

I just noticed there was a thread for this. I went to get mine to sanitize and the thing slid out of the case. I caught it with my beer belly and it snapped in half. RIP her twin sister I got is just as good though.

+1 422

I just got a replacement for the broken hydrometer #412, and it lasted long enough to bottle two batches in two days before falling to its doom while washing.

I need a refractometer.

So far I've brewed three batches and I'm on my third hydrometer. First one dropped out of the bottom of the case. Second one broke in the sanitizer bucket.

Anyone know where you can buy them in bulk?

Well I've been pretty careful with mine so far in the last year that I been brewing this is the 1st one I broke. I was cleaning it and fell off a shelf and of course shattered. I'll be going to the store tomorrow to get another one.

beerloaf

429 - I made all kinds of padding for mine then leaned forward and it slid onto the concrete basement floor to its death. Why don't they make these things out of plastic or stainless steel???

Polycarbonate would be great.

429 - I made all kinds of padding for mine then leaned forward and it slid onto the concrete basement floor to its death. Why don't they make these things out of plastic or stainless steel???

Polycarbonate would be great.
Bennypapa, Here's something I posted earlier about plastic hydros...

I'd done some research, wondering why doesn't someone make a plastic hydrometer? Well, they did but they were around $60. I'm part of the Coopers (AUS) Brewer's Guild (sort of like an Aussie HBT) and they had a plastic hydrometer. I contacted their US Rep from makebeeer.net, (Barbara White) and she responded with the following email;
Hi Peter,
Right now we have both available. We are working on updating the picture on our site to the new hydrometer. The general rule at this time is if you place the order online, we will ship the new plastic hydrometer even though the online picture shows the glass one. If it is a request for a replacement and we are contacted by phone or e-mail, we will give the customer the choice of either the glass or plastic hydrometer.
Cheers, Barbara White
http://www.makebeer.net/item.asp?idProduct=64&idCategory=111&idSubCategory =0

Been using my original for 4 years now. Today was the day. I guess the count is 430?

broke%20hydrometer.jpg

Bennypapa, Here's something I posted earlier about plastic hydros...

I'd done some research, wondering why doesn't someone make a plastic hydrometer? Well, they did but they were around $60. I'm part of the Coopers (AUS) Brewer's Guild (sort of like an Aussie HBT) and they had a plastic hydrometer. I contacted their US Rep from makebeeer.net, (Barbara White) and she responded with the following email;
Hi Peter,
Right now we have both available. We are working on updating the picture on our site to the new hydrometer. The general rule at this time is if you place the order online, we will ship the new plastic hydrometer even though the online picture shows the glass one. If it is a request for a replacement and we are contacted by phone or e-mail, we will give the customer the choice of either the glass or plastic hydrometer.
Cheers, Barbara White
http://www.makebeer.net/item.asp?idProduct=64&idCategory=111&idSubCategory =0

Looks like $9.99 to me.

431... I had my hydrometer in the testing tube about ready to fill it with finished Celebratory Ale. my auto siphone tubing was bit cold and ridged and while trying to get it all into my sanitizer it flopped out and whacked my test tube off the table sending both of them onto the floor.

I searched for the Coopers Plastic thread and bought one asap. SWMBO said "what shipping costs more than the item does" to which I said how much will 10 glass hydrometers cost me ;)

-=Jason=-

11 - 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back