Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
There is a spare keg at my work, what kind of tool is necessary to cut the top off and make a keggle?

Nab it!

I've been lookin on craigslist forever and theres never any kegs! I've got an angle grinder if ya need help.....just need some new wheels.

idkid said:
I've even seen some use a Dremel. But there's no way in the world I'd try that.

I love my dremel! takes probably a little longer than angle grinder but makes a nice cut. Another plus is you can get all the way to the edge and make the hole bigger. Cost me about $10 in discs to do a top and about 30 mins.

I bought some discs and borrowed a friend's angle grinder. Cut through like butter. Well, maybe not butter, but it was pretty easy. However you do it, where hearing protection and goggles;).

EDIT Yeah, I can spell:cross: where = wear.

I have a air powered cutoff wheel it worked awesome for cutting a very nice hole in the top of my keggle but if I had a choice I'd use a plasma cutter.

Go get a CNC plasma cutter table, you will be done in 15 seconds, and the table only costs about 30,000.

theres a video thread on here under yuri rage or look on youtube --> keg to kettle 3 parts

if you're like me and lack any of the above tools, do what i did. i took it to a welder and he cut the tops off and put spigot holes in two kegs for $25. hardly worth the hassle of doing it yourself at that price.

$18.99 for an angle grinder and $3.99 for a step drill bit at Harbor Freight, and 20 min in the garage, and you have a keggle. I was so easy, and I have used the grinder a ton since.

John

The dremel discs take awhile but the plus is you can get a very nice cut. It doesn't take that long and I already had a dremel

Back