Unexpectedly fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrritableGourmet

Reaction score
I made a batch of hard cider from fresh pressed juice and Safale S-04 (no added sugar). From a few other threads it said let it sit 7-10 days to get down to 1.010 then cold crash and bottle or let it ferment completely out and wait months to mellow.

Today is day 7 and I just pulled a sample. It's currently 1.002! It tastes fine, in fact fairly good apple taste with just a little yeastyness. I was hoping to have it bottled (champagne bottles), carbed, and ready to go for a Halloween party. It's in the fridge now. Is it too late? Has my poor cider grown up too fast and will need months to age? Or can it (I) get drunk in a couple weeks?

It probably could be drank in a few weeks, but why would you want to rush it? It's going to taste much better with age.

If its good to you, then its good and it will still be good come halloween if it doesnt ferment out any more. At 1.002, it has just a bit of residual sugar left. I recommend crashing around 1.010 because that is where the majority of people like it - thats about half the sugar in a commercial cider - but its really a matter of personal taste. Some like it more and some like it less. If its in the fridge now, the bit of yeastiness will be gone in a day or two and you can get drink it pretty much whenever you want

Using US-04 it just might be ready, you did not bump up the ABV so you don't have to worry about rocket fuel.
If you cold crash it, and want to bottle carb it you may need to add some more yeast, or I just make sure I scrap up a little from the bottom when I rack.
In any case, your pushing it to allow for good / even bottle carbonation. I would just do it as a still cider.
Personally I like still cider, you can back sweeten with a can of concentrate or two to taste if it is too dry. If people really want some fizz they can add a little soda, or dry ice. 7up and cider, with a cube of dry ice makes for a cool Halloween drink.
I'm sure there is a science to getting the perfect balance, but to me it's an art that I have yet to master.
Just remember, if you have a wild Halloween party, it did not happen with out posting pictures!

Just remember, if you have a wild Halloween party, it did not happen with out posting pictures!

I may do it still. I wanted to make a good "traditional" cider, which I assume means non-carbed. And I definitely will post pics.

On a side note, has anyone tried the Fermtech Wine on Tap system? I'm thinking Apfelwein.

Back