Gravity day before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
Attached are 2 photos of my hydrometer sample of my latest brew and my first brew. The lighter beer is an Irish red ale at 1.030? (I hope that is correct).

The new brew is a happy holiday ale. Lots of spices like cinnamon nutmeg, and ginger. I'm hoping it tastes like the blue moon spiced amber ale. But that gravity reading is also at 1.030. I'm hopeful that I'm on the right track. Both times I forgot I take a gravity before the yeast like a dumby. I got lucky because my first beer was delicious hopefully the luck keeps coming

image-600386792.jpg

image-3290041881.jpg

Extract or All Grain? What temp did you take the readings at? Temp affects your readings and if it's extract and you used top up water the readings may be off if it's not mixed in very well. 1.030 is low, your abv will probably be around 2.5-3%

I used a bag a of roasted barley and a liter and a half of malt extract. I took the reading at 60-63 degree. Should I let it sit for another week? The recipe says the SG should have been at 1.062-66 and the final gravity at 1.012-18. Knowing mine is at 1.030 what should I do?

I agree that you likely didn't get the wort & top off water mixed well enough. I pour all through a fine mesh strainer placed on top of my plastic FV's in a circular motion. It aerates like rain doing it this way. Then stir roughly for 5 minutes to mix well & aerate a lil more. I get better readings this way.

I took my boiling pot and primary fermentor and mixed between the two by dumping it back and forth. There alot of foam when I put the bucket top on. I definitely mixed it better then my previous batch and that one tasted delicious. The final gravity read 1.030 two days in a row. The wort smelt great, full of spices as cinnamon. Even cleaning the bucket smelt great so hopefully this one tastes as good as its promising to be!

What was your SG? I'd take another measurement and if it's still at 1.030 then I'd try and stir very lightly to get some of the yeast that fell into suspension to see if it'll ferment a little lower. 1.030 for an FG is really high

I didn't take a SG, another rookie mistake. I bottled it and its on its way now. I considered waiting but I decided to stick to it and learn upon completion. Ill make the same recipe again but with my own I greenest instead of the recipe

You may have a bunch of bottle bombs on your hands...that's a high FG. I'd put them in some sort of container so if they do explode they don't make a mess everywhere and if one does get the rest in the fridge ASAP to try and prevent the others from

Latest posts

Back