glassware help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXIboneheadIXI

Reaction score
i want to get a comprehensive list of glassware. so i need help! im some what of a this drink goes in this glass kind of person, and for my home bar, just for fun i want to have one of every kind of glass i can get my hands on, i know most wont get used often at all, and it wont be a massive expense as i dont need hundreds, and cases of or 8 are generally easy to find, so this is my list so far, i will keep it in sections as it will be easier to add to :)

wines:
general red wine glass
general white wine glass
champagne flute
sherry glass
general use goblet(i often see them used for water along side wine at fancy restaurants)

liquor/liqueur:
shot
shooter
snifter
tulip
rocks
cordial

cocktail:
martini
old fashioned
hi-ball
cosmopolitan
margarita
hurricane
collins

beer:
pint
mug
pilsner
stange
weizen
chalice

non-alcoholic
soda fountain glass(soda and milkshakes)

other alcoholic:
irish coffee mug

pitchers: (not sure if certain pitchers are used for certain drinks or not)

so please help me compile the most in depth list of glassware :) doesnt matter how rare or unused it is i would like it on my list haha.

if there is a category i should add as well let me know

so please help me compile the most in depth list of glassware :) doesnt matter how rare or unused it is i would like it on my list haha.

if there is a category i should add as well let me know

you should probably be aware that for many drinks (especially intense liquors and beers), many of the producers have designed a custom glass to optimize the features of their particular drink. For example, the Trappist monasteries each have custom glasses for EACH of their beers. And Belgians take using the right glass for beer quite seriously.

Because I had to look up stange.

Pint, Tulip, Stange, Weizen, Flute, Oversized Wine, Pilsner, Chalice, Snifter, Mug

glass.jpg

you should probably be aware that for many drinks (especially intense liquors and beers), many of the producers have designed a custom glass to optimize the features of their particular drink. For example, the Trappist monasteries each have custom glasses for EACH of their beers. And Belgians take using the right glass for beer quite seriously.

yes im aware of this, so if that is the case on some drinks that i have on hand i will probably get the glass. im just wondering if there is any general use glassware i missed, so i can fill my home bar, i already have quite a few glasses on my list

Wow that pic covers a lot not including the proprietary glasses for breweries. Thanks for posting it.

lol ive seen that before, although its hard to find the normal solo cups anymore, they changed most of them to the squared ones for better grip or whatever the hell they said. although i guess its kinda cool you can get them in so many colours now...

Because I had to look up stange.

Pint, Tulip, Stange, Weizen, Flute, Oversized Wine, Pilsner, Chalice, Snifter, Mug

and that pilsner may be a pokal glass, pokal is simply a european pilsner glass with a stem like that. although im not sure

Certainly not a conventional glass, but it does give more enclosed space to fit your nose (if you tip it the right way!). However, if you want to capture smells, the best option is a semi-enclosing curve, such as a tulip or snifter. Can't see anything that glass would contribute to flavor, other than the effects from aroma. In fact, for beer, the long stem is generally a detriment, as you want to be able to warm the beer with your hand while you drink it to release differing aspects of its character.

Certainly not a conventional glass, but it does give more enclosed space to fit your nose (if you tip it the right way!). However, if you want to capture smells, the best option is a semi-enclosing curve, such as a tulip or snifter. Can't see anything that glass would contribute to flavor, other than the effects from aroma. In fact, for beer, the long stem is generally a detriment, as you want to be able to warm the beer with your hand while you drink it to release differing aspects of its character.

you can get ones with or without stems, i was just wondering if the angle of the glass will enhance the aroma enough for it to consider buying, or if it would look like some novelty thing sitting in my home bar, i mean it looks like for certain beers it would be decent.

Latest posts

Back